Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "Instructions for British Servicemen"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Instructions for British Servicemen" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an article in the "NY Times" on "Instructions for British Servicemen in France 1944." Is it popular in England? It seems to dampen some myths, such as the French living in an orgy of "wine, women and song." I also thought the Frenchman's enjoyment of an intellectual argument was interesting. Has anyone read it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I read a similar article in a paper, although with shorter extracts. I haven't read the whole instructions.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love it Smile! If anyone wants a copy, they can buy it here.

posted Hide Post
I noticed the following in the article, quoted from the book, that Kalleh cites:

The long wars with England and the recurrent invasions from our side of the Channel have left the modern Frenchman with no grudge against us, except perhaps for the burning of Joan of Arc.

There's also a "grudge"?

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post