Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    From bad to worse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From bad to worse Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
The headline (a very slow load) says, "Smoking may be worse than thought."

I don't know about that. Thought is pretty seriously bad.

posted Hide Post
Hic: Good'n

In fact some activities long considered bad have recently proved healthy: Sex, chocolate, coffee, alcohol

I'm reminded of the Woody Allen movie, Sleeper. Miles (Woody)wakes after having been cyrogenically frozen for decades, when upon his awakening the doctor offers him a cigarette

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by dalehileman:
Miles (Woody)wakes after having been cyrogenically frozen for decades

Is there another way to be frozen?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the Norge?

posted Hide Post
Asa: Good'n

Well, but actually yes there is. One of the meanings implies a "very" low temperature; another,a condition of storage, such as might be required for a prolonged stay in order to preclude the ravages of vandalism or accidental thawing

posted Hide Post
Sara: Thank you for that

Isn't a norge something like a kelvinator

posted Hide Post
Only if the Kelvinator in question is a freezer, dale. Kelvinator made (makes?) heating products too. Perhaps Norge did also, I dunno. But the Norge I had in mind is the Norge on "Saturday Night Live" where Mrs. Loopner kept her chilled Tang.

posted Hide Post
sara: Thank you for that. However, I checked with Laverne, who is much smarter than I, and she agreed that "norge" "kelvinator" and "frigidaire" were widely used for many decades to mean refrigerator, much as "victrola" for phonograph

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by saranita:
the Norge I had in mind is the Norge on "Saturday Night Live" where Mrs. Loopner kept her chilled Tang.

Ooohhhh, she chilled her Tang? Musta been something to watch!!! Eek

I'm surprised that Garrison Keillor never did a Norge routine, being that it's his ancestral country. Imagine forty pounds of lutefisk in a broken Norge...

Kelvinator is eponymous for Lord Kelvin, so Wordcrafter coulda used him for this week's theme. He devised the absolute temperature scale.

Asa, proud owner of a Hotpoint refrigerator and a Frigidaire stove. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:

Asa, proud owner of a Hotpoint refrigerator and a Frigidaire stove. Confused

Reminds me of the gadget freak who put his humidifier and his dehumidifier in a locked room and let 'em fight it out. Roll Eyes

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post