Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Wanted: Jumblaya-ers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Jumblaya-ers Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
All of you who are excellent in anagrams, I need your help! I no longer post in that thread because I don't have nearly the expertise you have; from what I can see KHC, Haberdasher, and Jo are experts at anagrams, though there may be others whom I have missed.

Here's the problem, and I believe I threw this out to you once before. Bob has written an amazing limerick on one of his favorite subjects, "Alice in Wonderland." As you can see from his author's note, it is acrostic for "ALICE" and lines 1, 2, 5, and 3 and 4 together, are all anagrams.

Although Alice was crowned in her dreams —
Laughed "coo" when awhirl an' cried streams,
I watch a dam shown
Cursed girl here alone.
Each rough land hailed war crown, it seems.

Authors Note: Perhaps a little light on sense, but everything is an anagram of line 1: the letters are rearranged to form line 2 and line 5, and lines 3 and 4 together. The limerick is also an acrostic.

Obviously, with the acrostic and the anagrams this limerick can't be perfect. But, you can see that the meter works, it rhymes, and lines 1-4 are great. While I (and others in the workshop) think it works this way because, after all, Alice in Wonderland itself is nonsensical and whimsical, others would like to see a line 5 that fits more with the rest of the limerick. I have tried anagram programs, working with it myself, and of course Bob has worked with it. We've come up with nothing. If you could make a suggestion, we'd be ever so appreciative...and I am sure that Bob will acknowledge your work. Thanks!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post