Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    to lex or not to lex
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

to lex or not to lex Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
quote:
Why do dictionaries play an important role in our lives when language matters come to the fore? Why are they treated as the ultimate sources of authority in such matters as various religious books are treated in other matters? People use dictionaries to settle arguments. But where does the authority of the dictionary come from? There are also various dictionaries and they do not give us the same information and answers about the language and the issues we seek to resolve. So which dictionary should we rely on and why? Dictionaries provide a kind of order and authority for our language—even if in some cases that order is little more than an alphabetical listing and the authority may be questioned—but are they really to be trusted?

Dictionaries give us information about words. The existence of dictionaries reinforces a strong belief many people have that a language is merely a collection of words. We learn a language by learning a collection of words. We learn a language by learning its words: how to pronounce them; how to put them together; what exactly they mean; how to spell them and so on. Furthermore, if a word is not in the dictionary we must assume that it is not in the language. This is the argument widely used with irregardless: it is not in certain dictionaries ao it is not in the language no matter how often we come across it in speech, possibly even use it ourselves. Moreover, if some dictionary-maker puts it in a dictionary, that inclusion is a mistake because irregardless is not a legitimate word because it is not in other dictionaries, a completely circular argument. The real issue here is that of deciding on the legitimacy of words. Who should decide which words are to go into dictionaries and what criteria should they use? Should a dictionary include that word from Mary Poppins, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? If yes, why, and, if no, why not?

Dictionaries usually try to give us an objective record of the language but there is sometimes disagreement about the concept of "objectivity" in matters to do with language. Dictionary-makers know the kinds of judgments they are called on to make. They know how many react to their efforts. Not all dictionaries are alike in the way they deal with words, particulary with words that proved to be contentious. Moreover, different people have different expectations of dictionaries. Language scholars, for example, have different expectations from members of the general public, even that part of the general public that is well informed on language matters. As we will see from what happened when Webster's Third was published in 1961, fierce controversy can erupt when the expectations that many influential people have of dictionaries are not met. One consequence is that the public for whom dictionaries are produced remains no wiser about either language matters in general or words in particular.

[Ronald Wardhaugh. 1999. Proper English: Myths and Misunderstandings about Language, pp.17f.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll help the conversation along by making some comments.

1. I rarely use an English dictionary. (If it weren't for trying to make sense of some of the words on OEDILF, I probably wouldn't use a dictionary at all, at least, in recent decades.)

2. If I write something, I try to use words that I expect the reader to know.

3. If I want to find out what a word means, I put it in a web browser and see how people are currently using it. So a search engine is my current "dictionary". (I've done this with a couple of words on OEDILF when challenged that I didn't have a clue about what the word meant.)

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since diction has to do with one's style of speaking, it seems to me that the wrong Latin root word was chosen for the name of such books. Should they not be called "verbiaries?"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Dictio (from dico 'to talk, speak') was a Late Latin synonym of verbum 'word; verb' (cf. verba facio 'to talk', lit. 'make words', and vocabulum 'appellation, name; noun' (from vox, vocis, 'voice'. The -arius suffix derived an adjective from a noun 'related to X', with a secondary meaning of 'a collection of'; e.g., library (fr. librarium).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Was it a true synonym? There's a difference between words and speech, else we wouldn't have learned to write - and wouldn't have any dictionaries! Big Grin And isn't verba facio "I make words," not "to make words?" That's nominative singular, isn't it? Facere is the infinitive, if my 45-year-old memory of high school Latin class is still active. Damn! Am I THAT old!!!

Asa Senex

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
And isn't verba facio "I make words," not "to make words?" That's nominative singular, isn't it?

I've discussed this before. I learned to cite Latin verb forms in the first person singular indicative: e.g., facio, rather than facere; and give the gloss in English infinitive. A bit old fashioned but it's what I'm used to. Try looking up a verb in a Latin-English dictionary. You won't find facere, but facio.

Verbum 'word' is a second declension neuter noun: therefore, verba can either be a nominative or accusative plural. In this case it's the direct object of facio, and means literally 'I make words' and figuratively, 'I speak'.

As for true synonyms, I don't believe they exist, but it's enough for me that Priscian, a late-fifth century grammarian, used dictio to mean word. (The ancient Greeks and Romans privileged the spoken word over the written one. Cf. Plato's conjecture that the written word induces forgetfulness. And, remember, the ancient Greeks and Romans didn't really have dictioanries in the modern sense of the word.)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should a dictionary include that word from Mary Poppins, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? If yes, why, and, if no, why not?

I'd love to know how lexicographers make those decisions. As I posted somewhere else recently, the word "abaculo" is a perfect example. There is an OEDILF limerick about it, supposedly meaning a political policy popularized by fascist governments. The author of the limerick found it in one of the International Webster Dictionaries. When I was at Powell's Book Store in Portland, I did find the word and definition, though I couldn't find it in another dictionary, nor in previous or later editions of that same dictionary. Was it a mistake? Is it real?

[We did discuss it here.]

BTW, apparently Richard did away with his, but here is Carol June's (she was the one who found it in her dictionary):

If your ethics are spotty as maculo-
Papular rash, learn from Draculo:
Folks won't notice a spot
If you beat them a lot.
Rule with fear, wield the rod, use abaculo.

(Author note)(uh-BAK-yoo-lo). Abaculo is a political policy popularized by fascist governments, but practiced in many cultures and periods of world history. Maculopapular rash features red, raised spots on skin or mucous membranes, and is associated with infection or trauma. Draculo is the genus name for ray-finned, spotted, bottom-feeder fish with long, rod-like tails with which they protect themselves and also use as rudders for swimming. Draculo pogognathus (bearded-jaw dragonet) is a marine fish of Hawaii.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In the thread you cite, K., it is suggested that the word abaculo occurs in the 1936, second edition of Webster's International. If they did drop it from the current Third I wonder why?

I'd love to know how lexicographers make those decisions.

You need to read some books on lexicography and talk to some lexicographers.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Zmj, I don't know why they dropped it, but they did. I spent considerable time at that book store looking in their Webster's International Dictionaries.

Of course I can read some books on lexicography, and I will look for some. As far as talking to lexicographers, that is harder to do, though I have had some pleasant email exchanges with Jesse Scheidlower.

As I looked online to read something about Scheidlower, I found this transcript from PBS that I found interesting. About a fourth of the way down, they interview Jesse, and there is a nice discussion about prescriptivists (John Simon) and descriptivists (Jesse Scheidlower).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post