Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Sheer Enlightenment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheer Enlightenment Login/Join

posted Hide Post
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
~Joseph Campbell

Posts: 95 | Location: Sandusky, Ohio, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personal relationships are the fertile soil from which all advancement, all success, all achievement in real life grows. ~Ben Stein

posted Hide Post
One cannot divine nor forecast the conditions that will make happiness; one only stumbles upon them by chance,in a lucky hour, at the world's end somewhere, and holds fast to the days, as to fortune or fame.
~Willa Cather

posted Hide Post
If there were none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach for anything better.
~Florence Nightingale

posted Hide Post
Think of the inside of your house as your soul and the outside architecture as something like your bone structure, your genetic inheritance...Our true home is inside each of us and it is your love of life that transforms your house into your home.
~Alexandra Stoddard

posted Hide Post
If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities.
~Maya Angelou

posted Hide Post
There are times when Life surpirses one, and anything may happen, even what one had hoped for.
~Ellen Glasgrow

posted Hide Post
No one was ever ruined from without; the final ruin comes from within.
Amelia E. Barr

We live in an atmosphere of shame. We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accounts, of our opinions, of our experiences, just as we are ashamed of our naked skin.
George Bernard Shaw

posted Hide Post
The comfort of having a friend may be taken away
but not that of having had one. ~Seneca

posted Hide Post
Looking back, I have this to regret, that too often when I loved, I did not say so.
~David Grayson
For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: it might have been!
~John Greenleaf Whittier

posted Hide Post
OH, Cam! I am really enjoying these. I hope you get a chance to read the rest of the board too. we have some great things here.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no despair so absolute
as that which comes from the first moments
of our first great sorrow,
when we have not yet known
what it is to have suffered and be healed,
to have despaired and recovered hope."
~George Eliot

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
OH, Cam! I am really enjoying these. I hope you get a chance to read the rest of the board too. we have some great things here.

Thanks Morgan....haven't had time to really look around yet....summertime you know.....as the days grow long again, which comes all too soon as we all know, I'll have time to explore the site and will relish finding the heart of the place. See you soon!

posted Hide Post
"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
-John Burroughs

posted Hide Post
We are each of us angels with only one wing.
And we can only fly embracing each other.
- Luciano de Crescenzo

posted Hide Post
"It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone and a day to love someone-but it takes a lifetime to forget someone." -- Unknown.

posted Hide Post
It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time or fortune but just yourself that kept things from you.
~Lillian Hellman

posted Hide Post
True passion is intoxicating and invigorating, soothing and sensuous, magical and mystical. I just thought you should know what you're in for......
~Tazo tea bag

posted Hide Post
At first people refuse to believe that a strange new thing can be done, then they begin to hope it can be done, then they see it can be done. Then it is done and all the world wonders why it was not done centuries ago.
~Frances Hodgson Burnett

posted Hide Post
When the expected course of everyday life is interrupted, we realize we are like shipwrecked people trying to keep their balance on a miserable plank in the open sea, having forgotten where they came from and not knowing whither they are drifting.
~Albert Einstein

posted Hide Post
"If a is a success in life, then a equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

~Albert Einstein

posted Hide Post
Meditation is a way of clearing away the mental clutter that surrounds the subconscious. And when our minds are clear, we can see and experience the joy of our own soul.
~Gurmukh

posted Hide Post
Family
I believe that more unhappiness comes from this source than from any other--I mean from the attempt to prolong family connections unduly and to make people hang together artificially who would never naturally do so. -Samuel Butler

posted Hide Post
In three words I can sum up everything that I've learned about life. It goes on.
-Robert Frost

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
quote:
anybody with whom we never laugh.

There must be a word meaning "a person who never laughs."

(this is quite old, but I can't resist this sort of question..)
agelast - someone who never laughs; "unfortunates without any option but to look on the universe realistically." -Davis Grubb

posted Hide Post
Thanks, tsuwm! As is often the case, I had lethologica! Wink

By the way, checking to see whether "agelast" is pronouced with two syllables or three, I found two pronunciations given: ADD-jell-ist and AY-jel-ast. The latter is given far more frequently.

posted Hide Post
Laughter is day, and sobriety is night; a smile is the twilight that hovers gently between both, more bewitching than either.
~Henry Ward Beecher

posted Hide Post
It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them.
~George Eliott

posted Hide Post
Never be bulllied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~Harvey Fierstein

posted Hide Post
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

posted Hide Post
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing, then we truly live life.
~Greg Anderson

posted Hide Post
Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself and know that everything in this life has a purpose.
~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

posted Hide Post
Optimism is a cheerful frame of mind that enables a tea kettle to sing though it's in hot water up to its nose.
~Anonymous

posted Hide Post
We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sorrow.
~David L. Weatherford

posted Hide Post
Everyone smiles in the same language.
~Unknown

posted Hide Post
"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

Jack London

posted Hide Post
The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

posted Hide Post
Not he who has much is rich, but he who gives much.
~Erich Fromm

posted Hide Post
A gift, however small, speaks its own language.
~Norman Vincent Peale

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Second Thought for the Day............... (inspired by the above)

Q: What's the difference between a church bell and a pickpocket?

A: One steals from the people and the other peals from the steeple.

This may be the very earliest riddle I can recall ever hearing. I distinctly remember being totally impressed by its witty inventiveness. (I was 4, maybe, so gimmie a break!)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas--that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance--a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.
~Augusta E. Rundel

posted Hide Post
Christmas is a quest. May each of us follow his star of faith and find the heart's own Bethlehem.
~Esther Baldwin York

posted Hide Post
A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.
- - - Garrison Keillor

posted Hide Post
I've learned that it's not what you have in your life, but who you have in your life that counts.
~Unknown

posted Hide Post
It's often said that God works in mysterious ways. You have to really think about what he's trying to do. You can't be lazy and believe in God; He doesn't make it that easy. It takes spirit and faith and passion to really believe. Like most things worthwhile in life, you get back what you put into it. Only with faith, you get back a lot more.
David Baldacci, The Christmas Train.

posted Hide Post
"We are most of us very lonely in this world; you who have any who love you, cling to them and thank God."
-- Source Unknown

posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas!!!
(as quoted by Bob, Marge, Ralph, Linda, Susan, Rick, Jessica, Tom, Rex, Ian, Dawson, Desiree, Davis, Dessa, Jaden, Devin, Jacob,Savannah, Summer, Doris, Betty, Mickey, Cami, Minnie, Daisy, Rudolph, Richard, Ken, Nancy and.........oh forget it, the list is too long...)

posted Hide Post
The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, Nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when they discover that someone else believes in them and is willing to trust them.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

posted Hide Post
Even the most wealthy of men is a pauper if he cannot afford fifteen minutes for another, for time is the most precious and priceless jewel of all.
~Unknown

posted Hide Post
Who bravely dares must sometimes risk a fall.
- Tobias Smollett