Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Lords in Iolanthe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lords in Iolanthe Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I've quoted elsewhere, from Gilbert & Sullivan's Iolanthe, some dialogue by a lord whose name the libretto abbreviates as Lord Mount.

Just now I noticed from the dramatis personæ that his full title is the Earl of Mountararat. And that of course is a pun on the biblical Mount Ararat, on which Noah's Ark landed after the waters of the Flood receded.¹

But Mountararat is one of two lords of the chorus who have individual speaking/singing parts, each substantial, and if his name is a pun, the name of the other probably is too. Symmetry, you know!

The other lord is Earl Tolloller. What's the pun there? Can anyone help me?

¹ Perhaps that ties in with the Lords' song admitting that their high breeding gives them no advantage in pleading matters of the heart:
    Blue blood! blue blood!
    Of what avail art thou
    To serve us now?
    Though dating from the Flood,
    Blue blood! Ah, blue blood!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
from a "Glossary for Iolanthe,":

Taradiddle, Tol-lol-lay - Taradiddle is a fib, Tol-lol may mean languid or so-so (as in the name of the character Lord Tolloller), but may be just nonsense syllables here

Which could be accurate, or pure speculation.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post