Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reptile Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
A fascinating post on the etymology of reptile on Podictionary. I was intrigued by hook of Dr Samuel Johnson, who is one of my heroes.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great site. I wish I had an iPhone!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
and then there is "raptor" (bird of prey) from Latin rapere, "to seize by force and to carry off" ...

I'd always associated 'reptile' and 'raptor' because of their look-alike jointed, two- or three-toed, clawed feet (all the better to creep.. and seize, I suppose!), but I see they have different Latin roots.

The Latin verbs SEEM related-- one creeps up in order to seize and carry off. Do you think there's a connection?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I had an iPhone!

Why an iPhone, especially? The sound file on that site is in common-or-garden MP3 format which pretty well any computer or mobile phone can play.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it said "iPhone" and I asked my daughter if that meant I could use my computer or if I'd have to have an Apple iPhone; she said the I'd need the iPhone.

It just goes to show, you can't believe everything people tell you. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnson's myopia was a reptile dysfunction?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post