Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Gotterdammerung
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotterdammerung Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A retired ICU physician, Cory Franklin, at Cook County Hospital in Chicago writes a fairly regular column for the Tribune. I always enjoy his columns. In his most recent one "So many want to predict COVID-19's trajectory. But the virus refused to cooperate" goes through all the missed predictions of COVID-19. But - I liked one of the words he used: Gotterdammerung. Yes, we mentioned it here in this thread and in another thread where Hab posted a poem using it. In the thread linked to above, CJ said that it means "the end of the world." Franklin calls omicron the Gotterdammerung, or, he says, "the last dramatic and apocalyptic moment on stage for COVID-19." For heaven's sake, let's hope so!

Have any of you seen it in use? Another great German word...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read it yesterday in an old book by conservative philosopher Eric Hoffer, The Tenor of The Times.

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gotterdammerung

It should be Götterdämmerung, if I were to get all prescriptivist on it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Franklin calls omicron the Gotterdammerung, or, he says, "the last dramatic and apocalyptic moment on stage for COVID-19." For heaven's sake, let's hope so!

I know the word and given that it does usually signify "the end of the world" let's hop not. "The last dramatic and apocalyptic moment" doesn't sound hopeful to me. The word doesn't mean the end of omicron it means the end of everything.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, Z. You are correct.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post