Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Funny punctuation stories
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny punctuation stories Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The Chicago Tribune had a fun article about punctuation stories. There are some good ones, but this one is my favorite:
quote:
Maybe it's not surprising that New York City, capital of the U.S. publishing industry, has plenty of lore about semicolons. When former Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia was annoyed by an overeducated bureaucrat, he used the insult "semicolon boy." When the Son of Sam killer put a semicolon in a note, police speculated he might be a freelance journalist. (Killer David Berkowitz was a security guard and cabdriver.)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Being in health care, I rather liked this one, too:
quote:
Playwright George Bernard Shaw hated apostrophes, writing: "There is not the faintest reason for persisting in the ugly and silly trick of peppering pages with these uncouth bacilli."
I can't understand why he hated apostrophes so much.

posted Hide Post
Dyspeptic as he was, I would have imagined him hating colons.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he was joking or not (and I think he wasn't), but if not, it's strange not to use apostrophes for that reason!