Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wiki-fication Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an article in the Tribune today about a commonly discussed subject on Wordcraft (no...not epicaricacy), and that is Wikipedia. Link The author breaks the world into Wiki and anti-Wiki forces. I particularly thought Wordcrafters would appreciate this example:
quote:
One day, in the midst doing verbal battle with yet another anti-Wikipedia-ite, it dawned on me that the whole world breaks down into Wiki and anti-Wiki forces. There are those people throughout history who have embraced this type of decentralized, power-to-the-people phenomenon and those who have been scared witless by it.

The American Revolution? British versus colonists? Nope. Wiki versus anti-Wiki forces. The British wanted to regain centralized control over the colonies; the rebels wanted to retain control over their destinies and continue their experiment in self-governance.

And on he goes, through much of history and including some of the current world situations.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a bit hyperbolic to compare Wikipedia to the American Revolution.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, the author was having fun. Still, it made a good point of how Wikipedia, with loose oversight, is doing a good job. Yes, I eat crow on this one.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post