Wordcraft Community Home Page
Poll on Chaucer's readability

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/332607094/m/6641079225

February 12, 2008, 11:25
shufitz
Poll on Chaucer's readability
My original thread has gotten off track, so I want to revert to the original question. <span class="ev_code_BLUE"><I>Is Chaucer readable to a modern eye, once you modernize his spelling?</I></span><BR><BR>If so, it would indicate that although spelling has changed, our diction, syntax and grammar haven't changed much in the 600 years since Chaucer's day (expect, of course, for growth in the vocabulary); that very little has been lost over time.What do you think? On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being highest), how readable is this 30-line sample of "Chaucer with the spelling modernized"?<UL TYPE=SQUARE><span class="ev_code_red">Whilom</span> there was dwelling at Oxford <BR>A rich <span class="ev_code_red">gnof</span>, that guests held to board, <BR>And of his craft he was a carpenter. <BR>With him there was dwelling a poor scholar, <BR>Had learned art, but all his fantasy <BR>Was turned for to learn astrology, <BR>And <span class="ev_code_red">koude</span> a certain of conclusions, <BR>To demand by interrogations, <BR>If that men asked him in certain hours <BR>When that men should have drought or else showers, <BR>Or if men asked him what should befall <BR>Of every thing; I may not reckon <span class="ev_code_red">hem</span> all. <BR>This clerk was <span class="ev_code_red">cleped hende</span> Nicholas. <BR>Of <span class="ev_code_red">deerne</span> love he <span class="ev_code_red">koude</span> and of solace; <BR>And therto he was sly and full private, <BR>And like a maiden meek for to see. <BR>A chamber had he in that hostelry <BR>Alone, without any company, <BR>Full <span class="ev_code_red">fetisly ydight</span> with herbs sweet; <BR>And he himself as sweet as is the root <BR>Of licorice, or any <span class="ev_code_red">cetewale</span>. <BR>His almagest, and books great and small, <BR>His astrolabe, [be]longing for his art, <BR>His augury stones laying far apart, <BR>On shelves couched at his bed’s head; <BR>His press covered with a folding [cloth] red; <BR>And all above there lay a gay psaltery, <BR>On which he made a-night’s melody <BR>So sweetly that all the chamber ring; <BR>And Angelus ad Virginem he sang; </UL>5 - easy to read4 - pretty easy; not very difficult3 - medium: not easy, but not hard either2 - tough, but do-able1 - very hard or impossible