Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notorious Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I've noticed that notorious is used very subjectively in the media. Essentially, it means "famous for something bad". Hitler is notorious, for example.

I noticed a reference in my newspaper to the owner of a football club who was described as "notoriously camera-shy". How is being camera-shy a bad thing? I must say I'd only vaguely heard of the guy before and being camera-shy wasn't a trait I associated with him. Perhaps in the world of newspapers the dislike of being photographed is a negative quality, but to me it is rather refreshing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed it's most often used negatively, yet I see no reason it should be. The on-line Mirriam-Webster says, "generally known and talked of; especially: widely and unfavorably known." Thus its most common usage is unfavorable - but not necessarily.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
'Notoriously' seems used often today to mean something not bad but not normal; 'over-the-top', said with a snort or a roll of the eyes Roll Eyes

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And is your weather notorious, B? The news says you're getting snowed in.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The second definition from Dictionary.com seems to work:
quote:
publicly or generally known, as for a particular trait: a newspaper that is notorious for its sensationalism. Synonyms: notable, renowned, celebrated, prominent, conspicuous, famous, widely known.
The first definition has a negative connotation, but not the second.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
notorious

Don't this word's connotations depend on the context in which it is used?

"John Doe, notorious gangster" sounds like he's well-known for murder and mayhem, but "Mary Queue, notorious philanthropist" somehow sounds less negative. Her philanthropy is noteworthy.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a British thing but I don't think I'd use notorious in "Mary Queue, notorious philanthropist" . I'd be inclined to use famous.
Personally, I'd reserve it for something where there was at least the hint that the activity the person was famous for was disreputable.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Don't this word's connotations depend on the context in which it is used?

That's the problem with using this word. Several years ago the announcer at a football game described a player as "the notorious John Doe" but didn't go into any details about whether the notoriety derived from his goodness or evilness. I chose 'evil' because his team was beating mine.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This word has an entry in MWDEU. It seems the contents of this book are no longer viewable in Google Books. Anyway, they note that in neutral uses, the word has a certain emphatic quality that celebrated or famous lack.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
And is your weather notorious, B? The news says you're getting snowed in.

Big Grin Yes indeed, over the top

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It seems the contents of [the MWDEU] are no longer viewable in Google Books.

That is indeed a sad thing. I own the dead-trees version, but it is nice to be able to link to an entry in posts such as this.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe it's a British thing but I don't think I'd use notorious in "Mary Queue, notorious philanthropist".
When you put it that way, Bob, I'd agree with you. Maybe it's an American thing, too.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
notorious

Irregardless. I could care less. Literally.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's a moot point.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In today's Tribune, from the editorial: "As a leader and a parent he looked pained. But he is also a notoriously proud Chicagoan, no doubt grieving Tuesday night over savagery back home that he felt compelled to disdain."

Now, there's a positive use of the word.