Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Make Love (Loudly), Not War
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make Love (Loudly), Not War Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
From Britannia in Brief.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I couldn't avoid the cops since I'm usually alone at that time.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the neighbours were more likely to be envious than insomniac Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have called Dr. Oz as a defense witness. This clipped from his website:
"If you have more than 200 orgasms a year, you can reduce your physiologic age by six years," Dr. Oz says, basing this number on a study from researchers at Duke University who surveyed people about the amount and quality of sex they had. "They looked at what happened to folks that are having a lot of intercourse over time, and the fact is, it correlated." Frequent sex helps prove that your body is functioning as it is supposed to. "But in addition, having sex with someone that you care for deeply is one of the ways we achieve that Zen experience that we all crave as human beings," says Dr. Oz. "It's really a spiritual event for folks when they're with someone they love and they can consummate it with sexual activity...seems to offer some survival benefit."

Go show that to the dis-spirited b******s in court!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
If you have more than 200 orgasms a year, you can reduce your physiologic age by six years

I'm going to live forever!

posted Hide Post
How cum?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
Cum rain or cum shine.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
47 decibels. Oh my!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In fact, 47 decibels is not very loud (decibels being a logarithmic scale). This sound level is less than the level in a normal office or residence, but more than the sound in a quiet library.

There are several scales online that give exemplar levels and this is one of the clearer ones. http://www.coolmath.com/decibels1.htm

Of course, this level is louder than one would normally expect from such activities (which should be scarcely audible) and it makes one wonder just how good the sound insulation is in the premises.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...y-sex-on-tannoy.html
Arnie's cited article came from "Britannia in Brief." I dare say the couple in question were without briefs(knickers).

Mr. English is correct - 47 decibels could only be heard if one had one's ear to the door.

<Proofreader>
posted
reminds me of the old woman who called the police to complain her neighbors were having sex within her view and she didn't like that at all. The policeman asked her to show him where it was happening. She took him through the kitchen, past the living room, up the stairs, bypassing the second floor into the attic, where she led him to a dormer window. She opened the window, climbed to the roof, and holding tight to the chimney, said, "If you look through the binoculars you can see them two streets down to the left."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, 47 decibels is not very loud
I find that hard to believe. Normal hearing is 0-20 dB, and 46dB is a lot louder than that. Now, to describe how much louder has been a problem for me to find. This link says:
quote:
Because the decibel scale is logarithmic, every 10 dB increase in sound intensity is actually a ten-fold increase. Therefore, a sound intensity of 20 dB is not twice as loud as a sound intensity of 10 dB, but is 10 times as loud, and a sound intensity of 30 dB is 100 times as loud as a sound intensity of 10 dB. Similarly, a sound intensity of 50 dB would be 100,000 times as loud (10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10). This is how the decibel scale works.
Yet, this link says:
quote:
Every increase of 10 decibels (10 dB) sounds twice as loud. 20 dB sounds twice as loud as 10 dB... 40 dB sounds twice as loud as 30 dB and 8 times as loud as 10 dB (10 to 20 to 30 to 40 = 2 x 2 x 2 = 8).
So is it 10 times as loud for each 10 dB or is it twice as loud?

Either way, 46 dBs is very loud.

posted Hide Post
No, Kalleh. Here's the real scoop: http://home.earthlink.net/~dni...asEaton/Decibel.html 46 Db would just wake a sleeping person.

posted Hide Post
The normal range of human hearing is 120 decibels. It's a logarithmic scale so there's no zero. 1 dB is defined as the faintest sound a human can hear. 10 dB is ten times the power (loudness is a poor choice of words hear, as it describes a subjective judgement) of 1 dB. A sound of X dB sounds about twice as loud as a sound of X -10 dB. 120 dB is at or near the threshold of pain (love that term) for most people.

This scale is appropriate because the dynamic range of human hearing is so immense -- a range of 10^12 (the "12" in 120 dB) in power -- that the human perceptual system encodes it logarithmically. Engineers used the same trick to encode a fairly wide dynamic range (about 40 dB) in the tiny grooves of phonograph records.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So is it 10 times as loud for each 10 dB or is it twice as loud?

It is approximately ten times as powerful (ten times the energy) but only sounds about twice as loud; that's the way our ears work. This phenomenon is known as "Psychoacoustic Loudness".

This article - http://www.sengpielaudio.com/T...ndPressureLevels.htm - gives more details, although it is slightly complicated. Scroll down, though, and you'll find some very useful data, including information about sound perception.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do know that the national standard for nursing is a hearing level of 20 dB. At 46 dB, the perception of hearing would be about 5 times that (2 for each 10 dB).

posted Hide Post
Kalleh, please refer to the link to a Db chart I posted above. 46 is normal office noise. Normal humans (pre-exposure to teenagers) can hear from 1 to 100Db comfortably. If you don't believe me, I have a sound meter I'll send you and you can prove it to yourself! :-)

posted Hide Post
quote:
the national standard for nursing is a hearing level of 20 dB.

I'm guessing that means you have to be able to hear sounds that are at the 20 dB level for normal people.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post