Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Favorite quotes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite quotes Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know we've talked about quotes before, but not for awhile. I am wondering what some of your favorite ones are.

I often include quotes in my presentations. Just today I was presenting on survey design, where the biggest problem is that the use of words often makes it hard to understand the questions. Here was my quote:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~ Mark Twain

While not acclaimed, but just a fun one, I also included this:

“According to a Public Policy Polling survey, most Americans find lice and colonoscopies more appealing than Capitol Hill.”

~ Ron Fournier

Then in an organizational presentation on our committee work, we used Albert Einstein's quote:

“To raise new questions, new possibilities, to regard old problems from a new angle, requires creative imagination and marks real advance in science.”

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I saw a great one today in an executive center where we were having a retreat:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

~ Henry Ford

posted Hide Post
"Americans aren't human beings; they are human doings. They are too busy to actually BE!"

Berengere Martin

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Geoff's quote reminded me of a phrase book that I picked up when I went to North Korea. It included (if memory serves) the following phrases.

"The entertainment is both stimulating and culturally appropriate."

and

"Americans are wolves in human form."

No bias there at all then. It was the only phrase book available in the hotel shop and we weren't allowed to even see any other shops.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Bob's quote Big Grin

Geoff yours reminds me of a passage I must have read in a Sci-fi novel once. In response to news reported to the crew of some event happening among Earth inhabitants, "Humans... Oh, yes, they're the ones who make things, aren't they?"

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a Smithsonian Magazine of some years ago I read a comment that technology is the knack for so rearranging nature that one can no longer experience it. Thus me belief that we are no longer Homo Sapiens but Homo Hubris. We know far less than we think we do - to our peril.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, the North Koreans at least like Dennis Rodman, Bob.

Bethree, I love that quote. We do make other people, though, too, don't we? Wink