Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "Nothing to Wear"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Nothing to Wear" Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
Is this on Snopes, does anyone know?

I tried searching the site and the forums without luck.

Me too. Frown

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice sites, Zmj. Thanks! I've been quite interested in this subject and am glad to learn that those old statistics are balderdash.

Now, Arnie & Bob, your assignment is to post this urban legend on Snopes. Let's get the word out!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
men tend to speak to exchange information whereas women speak as a social act

Very interesting idea . . . but as you say, RE, no data. My personal instinct says that how much one speaks depends more on one's temperament more than one's gender. Also, I suggest that both men and women speak to exchange information, but women's information would tend to be more socially relavant. Baseball statistics really don't have much bearing on a person's life, but who is dating whom might.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here's a book review that addresses the core of this discussion, methinks: http://www.powells.com/review/2007_07_08

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'm in total agreement, Asa. Wink

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's a while since I met Allan to speak to him but he does have a website http://www.peaseinternational.com/ and I am sure would give a polite response to anyone who chooses to enquire.

I fully accept that Allan is a "popular psychologist" - but I wouldn't accept that popularity is always equivalent to inaccuracy. I wouldn't suggest that his findings are proven to be wrong and thus worthy of "Snopesing" just yet - but neither would I accept them as accurate without more data.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Via Language Log, The Mythical Chat Gap.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, zmj. Nice article. I always knew that there wasn't a difference (except individually of course) between the number of words men and women say. I am glad to see the evidence now.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The findings certainly seem clear enough, although I'd like to see more research on a more random sample. 400 college students is significant but students are a special group, possibly with different communication and speaking patterns from the population as a whole.

But on the face of it, this research does seem to disprove Allan's theory - although I don't suppose his audiences will care all that much. Never let the facts get in the way of a good storyWink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post