Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Not Chaucer??!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Chaucer??!! Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Oh no! You've got to be kidding me! While looking for something in The Canterbury Tales on-line, I found this:My world is teetering. Can it be?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Strange bit of marginalia that doesn't have much to do with the text that follows it. Does it refer to the Canterbury Tales or some other poems? No modern scholars are cited. In the end, it really doesn't matter who wrote them, but how good they are.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Modern scholars"? What, all of them? Confused

"Some modern scholars" I could accept. After all, you will find people ready and willing to argue almost any point of view if you look hard enough. Or perhaps it means that modern scholars believe that Chaucer was not the author of Spenser's poems? I'd go along with that...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Modern scholars"? What, all of them?

Good point, arnie. You are right when you say that you can find people "...ready and willing to argue almost any point of view...." There are those who argue that the Holocaust never happened!

That is why evidence-based health care is taking off so well. It is a movement to analyze together all of the studies in a particular area. That way you know where there are gaps and where there is preponderance of evidence. It sounds like something like that could be done here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post