Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Unnecessary Quotation Marks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unnecessary Quotation Marks Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In Bierma's column today he tells of Bethany Keeley's Blog where she has pictures of unnecessary quotation marks. Her Blog was the Pick of the Day at Yahoo and featured in the AP with the headline, "Blogger 'Exposes' Annoying Quote Abuse." The thing is, she really isn't all that annoyed, she says, and she isn't happy being celebrated by Lynne Truss supporters. She isn't really a prescriptivist. Keeley said, "In most cases I'm intentionally misinterpreting people. What they mean to say is clear. I am mostly trying to have a little fun with language."

According to Bierma, linguist John McWhorter has argued that quotation marks can be considered legitimate indications of emphasis in on-standard English, especially on handwritten signs where bold and italics are hard to use.

I have to admit, this is one trend I haven't noticed. I will keep an eye out for it, though. I imagine I've just missed it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to Bierma, linguist John McWhorter has argued that quotation marks can be considered legitimate indications of emphasis in on-standard English, especially on handwritten signs where bold and italics are hard to use.

And not only (and maybe not even usually) emphasis. Quoted words and passages are often used to denote that the item is a statement or allegation from another source and thus not attributable to the journal that has printed it.

Thus, when reporting about new evidence in a murder investigation, a newspaper might print, "...New DNA evidence 'proves' accused man's connection...". This kind of device, they hope, will prevent their being sued, or taken to task in some other way, by distancing themselves from the statement made.

"We didn't say that the evidence proved anything; we said it was said to have 'proved' it", they could claim.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There're also scare quotes and air quotes. (Recently I've been reading up on verba dicendi (e.g., quotative go or like in English, iti in Sanskrit) which seems somehow connected.) I do like that Keeley is quoted as saying: "The grammar police want to claim me for themselves, but they're never going to get me onboard".

[Fixed faulty plural and punctuation.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with scare quotes - but have always found the use of air quotes profoundly irritating and have never used them.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to use air quotes comically, quoting things which shouldn't be quoted, and blatantly not quoting things which clearly should be.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quoting things which shouldn't be quoted

Yes, Seanahan. I'd say my use of air quotes is only jocular, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quoting things which shouldn't be quoted

Yes, Seanahan. I'd say my use of air quotes is only jocular, too.

"ditto"

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Rather than use air quotes I just speak in itallics.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I just speak in italics

I find that a virtual apparatus criticus, with footnotes, meta-commentary, bibliography, stemmata, and such like, is necessary for some of my utterances.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote: I find that a virtual apparatus criticus, with footnotes, meta-commentary, bibliography, stemmata, and such like, is necessary for some of my utterances.

"virtually necessary," at least. I can't comment about your utterances in the non-virtual world. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The sandwich bar next to my office has the annoying habit of identifying additions to their menu with the prefix "New" [sic].

That gives the opposite impression to what I assume they intend, and that the menu item is not really new.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post