Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "Talking the Talk"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Talking the Talk" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
According to an article today in the Chicago Tribune, the terminology for selling homes has gotten out of control. The definitions of words and phrases are often misunderstood as they evolve in the housing industry.

Here are some examples:

What would elevation mean to you? Height, right? Wrong! A house with elevation "A" might be made of siding and brick, with a large front porch, while a house with elevation "B" might be an all-brick facade with a square front stoop flanked by pillars. Walking toward the "elevation" (I still don't get it!) with a front porch, the realtor might point out the balusters. Further in each elevation, there may be differences in the placement of the windows and the roof lines. So, the "elevation" is the preferred architectural view of the house.

The great room, legend has it, was named that when a buyer walked into a room with a 12-foot ceiling and said, "What a great room!" Of course, then you might move on to discuss the volume ceilings.

Will you be looking for a lifestyle community (a particular appeal, such as a golfing community) or a multifamily community (buildings with attached dwellings, such as condominiums or townhouses)?

The buyer may ask you about the R-value of your home. I'd be clueless, but it rates the energy efficiency for windows, insulation, and other materials. The higher the rating, the better (i.e. R-38 versus R-25).

Do you have a Palladian window? That is a large window, which is divided into 3 parts. The center section is larger and is usually arched. (I wonder why it is capitalized.) Or, do you have sliders? Those are windows that open sideways, along a track.

And, the list goes on and on...

What housing terms are used in your area?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

And, the list goes on and on...

What housing terms are used in your area?

Some of my favorite terms (used by realtors) include "needs a little work" - which means the place is falling down; and "needs a little TLC" - also falling down. I remember one ad which stated that the house "has a kitchen." I figured it must have been really, really bad if that was one of the few good things they could say about it! Eek

My ad for those which "need a little work" or "a little TLC" would read, in part: "Bring your bulldozer!" Smile

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, I immediately assumed that "elevation" was used as an architect uses it, which qualifies as jargon rather than common usage, and is therefore obfuscatory.

"Palladian" must refer to the Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio, i.e. opulent, but they once again use a term that the average person won't know, thus making Joe Average think the real estate con artist knows more than s/he really does.

"Easy freeway access" means "noisy, highly congested location."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sunflower, I love the "bring your bulldozer" comment! That is the same here, too, in the Chicago area.

Do all of you have "tear downs?" Many of our areas are besieged with tear downs; these are small, charming homes, with great mature trees, that are torn down (of course, the trees are cut down as well), and huge monstrosities replace those original homes...of course with a price tag 5 times the amount. It effectively chases out first-time homeowners or anyone with on a modest budget.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post