Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Underground Wisdom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underground Wisdom Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
You British posters probably saw this, but I thought it was good. It links some philosopher quotes with the London Tube announcements. I like lots of them, but especially this one; even though I don't know what the "Mornington Crescent" train is, obviously it's slow.

“This is the Mornington Crescent train ...

There is more to life than increasing its speed: Mahatma Gandhi.”

They probably mean much more to those who take these trains:

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Mornington Crescent is a spoof game played on the radio show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, as well as, of course, being an Underground station. Although trains on the Northern Line stop there, there is no actual 'Mornington Crescent train'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mornington Crescent is a spoof game played on the radio show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, as well as, of course, being an Underground station.

And recently on OEDILF although sad to say, not all of those playing it were fully aware of the current rules, in many cases still using the obselete 1932 Edrich Easy-play rules.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The tube station is named after the nearby street which in turn is named after Richard Wellesley, the the first Earl of Mornington. He was also the Duke of Wellington's younger brother. The earldom (now a courtesy title) is from the town in County Meath, Eire, and is called Baile Uí Mhornáin in Irish. I'm not sure what the name means in Irish, though it looks like town of the grandson of Mornan. The English could be a calque on the Irish or vice versa. Irish mornan 'piggin'. A piggin is "[Scot.; cf. Gael. pigean, dim. of pigeadh, pige, an earthen jar, pitcher, or pot, Ir. pigin, pighead, W. piccyn.] A small wooden pail or tub with an upright stave for a handle, -- often used as a dipper" (link).

Of course, there is a Mornington Crescent encyclopaedia online (link), and as with many things these days, it is being wikified (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...wikified...I love it! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post