Wordcraft Community Home Page
A lovely day in Wales

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/1180029107

August 05, 2022, 02:14
BobHale
A lovely day in Wales
1<BR>On the west edge of England is Wales<BR>With a Language Police that fills gaols<BR>It generates howls<BR>By having no vowels<BR>You'll find every spelling rule fails<BR><BR>2<BR>There once was a woman of Wales<BR>Who told such fantastical tales<BR>They called her a witch<BR>So with a quick twitch<BR>She turned all of them into snails<BR><BR>3<BR>A woebegone wanker of Wales<BR>Whose life had been woe and travails<BR>Fell into a well<BR>He ended in hell<BR>At last he is where he prevails<BR><BR>4<BR>The U.K. has a lovely place, Wales,<BR>Where fishermen have some great tales:<BR>The fish with no scales,<BR>The shredding of sails,<BR>But - the best is of gals and their males!<BR><BR>5<BR>A fisherman sailing from Wales<BR>Encountered some punishing gales.<BR>I fear he will drown<BR>'Cause the boat's going down<BR>No matter how quickly he bails<BR><BR>6<BR>The schooner departed from Wales<BR>But soon they saw mackerel scales<BR>The Captain looked haunted<BR>"It's wind that I wanted<BR>But now I see threatening gales!"<BR><BR>7<BR>Camilla? Princess of Wales?<BR>“Never,” old QE2 wails<BR>Of Cambridge? perhaps,<BR>But that leads to traps<BR>And all of the grief it entails<BR><BR>8<BR>A coal miner living in Wales<BR>Has coughing and wheezes and râles<BR>The owners don't care<BR>'Bout the dust in the air<BR>And the damage to lungs that entails<BR><BR><BR>9<BR>A kinky young couple from Wales<BR>Received, in plain wrap, in the mails,<BR>Condoms and campions,<BR>Tongs, tubes and tampons —<BR>I’ll spare you the further details.<BR><BR>10<BR>Wobbly old William of Wales<BR>Drank more than his share of ales<BR>To sleep it off he<BR>Called constable C.<BR>Who gave him keys to two gaols<BR><BR>11<BR>I must write a limerick on Wales,<BR>But up to the others, mine pales.<BR>The meter they'll shred,<BR>The ending? "It's dead!"<BR>Along with my others - it fails!<BR><BR>12<BR>The sardonic cynics of Wales<BR>Impale politician’s tall tales,<BR>Like, “We’re not in recession!”,<BR>“Trump won the election!”,<BR>And “Bill Clinton never inhales.”<BR><BR>13<BR>There once was an old man from Wales<BR>Whose diet consisted of snails<BR>He liked the slime<BR>He thought it sublime<BR>But he didn't much care for the shells<BR><BR>14<BR>A crotchety old man from Wales<BR>Spent much of his time in the jails<BR>Every Saturday night<BR>He'd have a good fight<BR>Her was mean and harder than nails<BR><BR>15<BR>He dined upon pheasants and quails<BR>That arrogant young man from Wales<BR>He didn't much care<BR>For fancy French fare<BR>Especially those damnable snails<BR><BR>And this one, by haberdasher, is disqualified because… well I am sure you can see why…<BR><BR>"I've written a book about whales<BR>Beside which my other work pales.<BR>My First Mate," said Herman,<BR>"Urged 'Write it in German!<BR>T'would increase a latte my sales...'"Which of these fine entries tickles your fancy?123456789101112131415

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
August 05, 2022, 07:53
Geoff
I'll take #8, but since the poll only goes to #5, it may not count.

As for Hab's one that doesn't count, I encourage him to write a complete parody entitled Moby Dork! Delightful job, Hab!
August 05, 2022, 09:32
haberdasher
Well, there is a very tired joke about a <fill in your favorite derogatee> who's so stupid [s]he thought Moby Dick is a venereal disease...
August 05, 2022, 10:07
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
[s]he thought Moby Dick is a venereal disease...
I knew about Mobile Dick, the gigolo.
August 05, 2022, 17:45
BobHale

Important

Something went wrong when I posted the poll and only 5 entries were shown as options. (There was also a mistake in one of the entries.)

It's now fixed so can you vote again if you had already voted. Fixing it erases previous votes.

Geoff you will need to add your vote in the poll.

August 06, 2022, 09:26
Geoff
As always I'm confused about the poll. Do 1 and 7 have votes, or is it 2 and 8? The numbers appear above their limerick, yet it seems the reverse for the poll. Can anyone explain this to me?

Still befuddled Geoff
August 06, 2022, 17:25
haberdasher
The number is BELOW the associated bar. It's a "feature" of the program.
August 06, 2022, 18:03
BobHale
One more time.

Read the limericks.

Each one is written with its number.

Choose a number.

In the Voting form there is a circle by each number. Click the circle for the number you chose.

Click VOTE

THAT'S IT! How it looks in the SEE POLL RESULTS is completely IRRELEVANT when voting. The person running the poll needs to understand it YOU DON'T. IT DOESN'T MATTER TO YOU>

Just click the circle next to the number then Click VOTE. Then go and make a cup of tea, JOB DONE.

Here's an idea. Don't look at the results. Ask someone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

August 07, 2022, 11:06
Geoff
Sorry Bob. I did not ask to have brain damage.
August 07, 2022, 19:12
BobHale
Geoff. See your PMs

August 10, 2022, 09:38
bethree5
Sheesh!! 15 official plus one unofficial entry... a veritable rash of prolificity!
August 23, 2022, 00:32
BobHale
Can the author of 13 14 15 make him/her/them self known to me in a PM as I accidently lost some of the information.

And can somebody else cast a vote please as we only have three votes so far and it's a three way tie.

August 27, 2022, 14:54
Geoff
To quote Bob Hale, "Sod all." It's no use; the game is dead.
August 30, 2022, 13:40
haberdasher
Oh? Well, that remains to be seen. The Game is dead, Long live the Game.

If we're going down, let's go Down Under. How about going to PERTH next.
August 30, 2022, 17:19
BobHale
For the record the limerickers were

1, 5, 6, 8 haberdasher
2, 3, 7, 10 Geoff
4, 11 Kalleh
9, 12 shufitz
13,14,15 tinman

August 30, 2022, 17:26
BobHale
For the record, it's probably worth
When proposing the next place (it's Perth)
A separate thread
(If the game isn't dead
And of entries there isn't a dearth.)

August 30, 2022, 20:04
haberdasher
Agreed. I’ll start the new thread tomorrow.
August 31, 2022, 06:51
haberdasher
Done. But I didn't mean to cut short any conversation on Wales - surely someone has a comment or two?

Tinman, Shu - nice to see your keystrokes again !
August 31, 2022, 13:06
Geoff
quote:

I feel like we're going to Hel! https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
August 31, 2022, 17:47
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:

I feel like we're going to Hel! https://www.google.com/search?...ceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I haven't been to Hell but I have been to Hella

September 01, 2022, 05:35
Geoff
With Helen? But then we get into the issue of the aspirate "H."
September 04, 2022, 11:49
bethree5
hab: my comment on limerick #8: this immediately brought to mind that great little miniseries, "The Indian Doctor."
September 04, 2022, 11:53
bethree5
Why only 3 votes on this poll? I went back & tried to vote again - thinking I might have forgotten to - but nope, our trusty electronice voting machine dinged me for trying to cheat Wink
September 04, 2022, 13:21
Geoff
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Why only 3 votes on this poll?
I wish I knew. And How did we arrive at Perth as the next location?
September 04, 2022, 17:16
BobHale
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:
Why only 3 votes on this poll?
I wish I knew. And How did we arrive at Perth as the next location?

We arrived at Perth because hab suggested it and as two of the three votes went to limericks he had sent I decided to let it be.

September 05, 2022, 04:02
Geoff
That makes sense!
September 13, 2022, 14:04
haberdasher
To quote Katisha, "My idea exactly!" It's an affecting tale, and quite true.
September 13, 2022, 14:08
haberdasher
Oh, and so far a grand total of five submissions.
September 13, 2022, 17:47
Geoff
quote:
hab: my comment on limerick #8: this immediately brought to mind that great little miniseries, "The Indian Doctor."
I liked i too, Bethree.

I'm the one who voted for 8. It could only have been Hab's.
September 16, 2022, 09:20
haberdasher
Well, I don't really try to disguise their authorship
September 16, 2022, 09:24
haberdasher
quote:
...my comment on limerick #8: this immediately brought to mind that great little miniseries, "The Indian Doctor."

You mean Peter Sellers in "The Millionairess"? With Sophia Loren ?
September 16, 2022, 18:59
BobHale
quote:
quote:
...my comment on limerick #8: this immediately brought to mind that great little miniseries, "The Indian Doctor."

You mean Peter Sellers in "The Millionairess"? With Sophia Loren ?

pretty sure bethree5 means this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Indian_Doctor as it's about an Indian Doctor in a Welsh village in the sixties.