Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    SERAC revealed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SERAC revealed Login/Join

posted
SERAC

A) a particular rock formation found in the deepest part of the ocean formed from the high pressures freezing the salt water
--submitted by Caterwauler
--chosen by KHC
--tempted jo

B) crystalline formations that occur when superheated liquids are flash cooled under pressure
--submitted by jo
--chosen by no one

C) cousin of Spock, nephew of Sarek
--That's the red herring. It has five letters and starts with an S, like a good Vulcan name should, right? What more could you ask for? But nobody bit, except maybe BobHale, halfway.

D) a yellowish- to reddish-brown aromatic bitter psychedelic gum resin obtained from several trees and shrubs of the genus Seramiphora of Indonesia, New Guinea, and eastern Timor, used as a carminative and a stimulating tonic
--submitted by jerry thomas
--chosen by no one.
It has all the makings of a real definition, except with "Sera-" substituted for the original. What is it really, Jerry?!

E) a large open metal flute with two mouths placed adjacent to each other; the name derives from its inventor, Wilhelm Theodor Seraflöte
--submitted by Kalleh
--chosen by no one. Not magic enough, I guess.

F) a small African antelope with long, spiral horns
--submitted by tinman
--chosen by BobHale, Kalleh

G) a pinnacle of ice in a landscape full of snow and glaciers
--the correct answer.
--chosen by jerry, arnie, and jo
It _must_ to be the right choice, because if you take GLACIERS and remove all occurrences of the letters in SERAC and ICICLE all you have left is G. YCLIU.
It also means a kind of soft cheese.

H) a plant with a thick bulbous edible yellow root, eaten in west Africa as a dietary staple
--submitted by arnie
--chosen by Caterwauller (no relation to Fats Wauller, even if it _is_ always about food for you...)

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
You asked for it, Syrrh.

It's Myrrh:

a yellowish to reddish brown aromatic bitter gum resin that is obtained from various trees (genus Commiphora) especially of East Africa and Arabia (as C. myrrha or C. abyssinica) and has been used in the manufacture of dentifrices and as a carminative and a stimulating tonic

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jerry! Smile "...glad to hear my opinion backed by a competent authority." Koko, in The Mikado, Act I

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought I knew this one, too! Isn't there an animal that is like "serac?"

Good word, Hab!

Who's up next?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't there an animal that is like "serac?"

Well, there's "hyrax," but I'm not sure that's what you had in mind.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'll take the next word. Look for the thread.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post