Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Reverse Dictionary
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reverse Dictionary Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bovarism it is.

Great! That's possibly because of my love of tsuwm's site.

The next definition:

An unsupported, dogmatic assertion (I love this word because those 'dogmatic assertions' are so common.)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If it's "dog-matic," it must ba an "arf-orism."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Close, but no cigar. Wink

[Well, not that close, either!]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
ipsedixitism

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I thought that ipsedixitism was when a woman named Dixie suffered an Electra complex.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I can see why your daffynitions are so good in the Bluffing game!

Yep, arnie got it! Your turn.

Now, isn't that a nice word?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's the next definition:

(v. t.) To buy in large quantities, as corn, provisions, etc., at a market or fair, with the intention of selling the same again, in or near the same place, at a higher price, -- a practice which was formerly treated as a public offense.
(v. t.) To offend; to shock.
(v. t.) To remove the outer surface of, as of an old hewn stone, so as to give it a fresh appearance.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Regrate?

In the process of looking, I found a good reference that I will post in the Links for Linguaphiles thread.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Regrate it is, Kalleh.

An interesting word, with some intriguingly varied definitions.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, arnie, that is an interesting word. I hadn't known it. Is it related to "ingrate?"

Here is my definition:

"A notch, channel, or slit made in any material by cutting or sawing."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A kerf, perhaps? No, that's a Northern Iraqi.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it related to "ingrate?"
Nope. Regrate means "to scrape again". It come from Old French gratter "to scrape".

Ingrate means "not grateful" and it comes from the Latin gratus, "grateful, pleasing".

quote:
A notch, channel, or slit made in any material by cutting or sawing."
Did you by any chance find kerf while trying to find crenation earlier? Wink

posted Hide Post
Definitely KERF. If you had something else in mind, then there's a synonym, but it's still kerf.

PS. How about the "inverse" of kerf? What do we call that ridge of plastic or clay or plaster that marks the seam, left when a cast object emerges from a mold, and that needs to be pared away to leave a smooth surface? I thought it was scarp, but that's a geological feature, not what I've described.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hab, how about sprue? That's a foundry term for the material left in the channel into which the material was poured or injected,as well as the channel itself, so I think it fits the bill here. I think it also refers to material in the seams of dies or molds that don't match perfectly.

posted Hide Post
We're getting closer, but it's a much simpler word than that. Durn. I used to know it , but it escapes me at the moment. Mad

In the meantime, while I was looking around I came across this nice one (assuming that KERF is indeed correct and we're looking for another reverse definition):

"...a method of producing pottery shapes like plates and bowls. A ball of clay is placed on a rotating mold and forced to conform to the shape of the mold by bearing down on the clay with a profiled lever arm. The profile or shape of the lever arm determines one surface of the pot while the mold determines the other surface..."

We know other meanings for the word, but this one was new to me.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Throwing?

posted Hide Post
Are you looking for "DADO"?

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not throwing; that's where the mass of clay is shaped by the potter's hand on the rotating wheel. This one is more like pressing on the mass of clay with a shaped piston to make the inside contour, I gather.

And dado isn't the "excess plastic from the mold" word, unfortunately. OneLook.com has dado as a "noun: a rectangular groove cut into a board so that another piece can fit into it". I thought maybe CHAMFER might have been my answer but that seems to be a groove cut where two pieces of material butt edge-to-edge, making a v-shaped groove between them, so that's not it either.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you are gone for a day! Sorry, arnie, about the delay, but "kerf" was correct.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Do I also get credit for the correct answer, Kalleh? See my post of the 10th.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Asa,

Your post said
quote:
A kerf, perhaps? No, that's a Northern Iraqi.
Since you said that kerf wasn't the word, you can't claim it now. Cool

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arnie:
Asa,

Your post said "A kerf, perhaps? No, that's a Northern Iraqi." Since you said that kerf __wasn't__ the word, you can't claim it now.
------------------------------------------------

Oh, fie and curses, my feebled wit has me undone! Frown I guess I'll have to play it straight around here!

Asa, sobbing into his Kurds and whey.