Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Pairs of letters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pairs of letters Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Chris Doyle, from OEDILF, posted this superb limerick (I wish he were here!). What other words only have pairs of letters?

They're arraigning an angel in heaven
Who's charged with purloining the leaven.
(This arraigning has airs
With its five letter-pairs—
Scintillescent is said to have seven.)

Here's his author's note: "Other longer words comprised solely of letter pairs include unprosperousness, esophagographers, happenchance, and shanghaiings."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Would a word like "through" count?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the challenge is to come up with long words wherein each letter is represented an even number of times. "Arraigning" has two As, two Rs, two Is, two Gs, two Ns, total ten letters -- and no singletons. Other examples have four of a given letter, still pairable.

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cheated, and wrote a computer program to do the work for me. Here are a couple of results from a smallish dictionary of English, short simple ones (couscous, tutu, etc.) are omitted. Bilabial is a common linguistic term, and mesosome is a biological term.

arraigning
bilabial
horseshoer
intestines
teammate
mesosome
happenchance

These ones have letters which appear in pairs, but some of the pairs are repeated.

senescence
tattletale

These tend to fall into two categories, random mixture of letters, and the center split ones, like teammate, mesosome, happenchance, and horseshoer, where the words are compound, and both halves share the same letters. I can't seem to access my computer with a larger lexicon file, so this one didn't have words like esophagographers.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To pull a Hofstadter - any threesie-words? Foursies?

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found "deeded", and that is the only one I can find of any higher order.

How about words where each letter occurs more than once? This is a larger set than the previous, so let's stick with words where each letter occurs some large amount of times. This appears to be fruitless, as I've only found "deeded". That is, there don't appear to be any other English words where each letter than appears shows up at least 3 times. Unless someone where "de-deeded", of course.

On another note, I found a fun British word, "transistorisation". It doesn't really fit in any of the above categories, but it is fun to look at.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Oddly, "deeded" was mentioned in my newspaper the other day. Somehow the subject of the longest word that could be formed with the least number of different letters came up, and it won with only two.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are great! Sean, did you come up with those by yourself? Being a nurse and all, I loved Chris's "esophagographers." I will say, though, that I haven't found it in a dictionary. It makes sense, though; it is the one who takes x-rays of esophaguses (or is it esophagi?).

posted Hide Post
I wrote a computer program in about 10 minutes. Then I spent 15 minutes tracking down a file which listed most words in the English language. After that, the computer did the work.

I left a couple of common words I found out, for those who want to find some on their own.

posted Hide Post
A bit of searching lead me to sestettes, a nine letter word with three letters, three times (that makes sense, right?).

Posts: 1 | Location: Melbourne, AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Welcome Naed! Smile Another Aussie I see!

Another oddity about "deeded" (mentioned above) is that it is the longest word that can be spelt using just one button on a mobile/cell phone.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Naed! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool

And what a wonderful word! In looking it up it is a synonym for a sextet, right? It also means the last 6 lines of a sonnet?