Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Entitled: A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entitled: A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Do you remember the Entitled game? Let's revive it. You send me, via PM, suggested first lines for the book "A Whole New Mind" by Daniel Pink. When I get a few I'll post them all, along with the real first line. Then you select what you think is the real first line.

Okay now...put on those thinking hats with your whole new mind!

[Edited to change "email" to "PM"]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Email? Confused

Don't you mean PM?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am sorry...I meant PM. I'd love one from you, arnie!

I already have two, so I really only need a few more.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As I seem to be working a bit better than usual today, I've sent you one.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sent mine last night, but as you're in or on your way to Toronto, you may not have seen it!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here we go. Which of the following is the real first line of "A Whole New Mind"?

1) He awoke to the whir of a carpenter's drill on the scaffolding just beyond the window of his hospital room.

2) Isolated disorders of language or memory are often due to brain lesions, causing diffuse deterioration of mental functioning.

3) There was a time when the darkness that surrounded me seemed to stretch out to every horizon.

4) The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind - computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.

5) I'm not sure what it was I disliked about his appearance the most; the long unkempt greasy hair, or the dirt that was ever-present under his fingernails.

6) Ever since Descartes we have separated our minds from the rest of our being.

7) Some minds, like storage units, are neatly organized, clean, and efficient, while others are dangerously disordered, dirty and dodgy.

Thanks to all for getting this game going again! Which is it???

<Proofreader>
posted
Perfusing my mind, I see the numeral 6.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll give 2 a shot, but given that every time I post in a thread I seem to lose access to it, I may never know if I am right or wrong.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll give 4) a try.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Then I'll guess 5.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How about a few more? I'll post the real first line on Tuesday evening.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Did I say Tuesday evening? I meant Wednesday evening. Wink [Sorry for the delay.]

Here we go:

1) He awoke to the whir of a carpenter's drill on the scaffolding just beyond the window of his hospital room. Submitted by Wordmatic; no takers

2) Isolated disorders of language or memory are often due to brain lesions, causing diffuse deterioration of mental functioning.Submitted by yours truly; fooled Bob

3) There was a time when the darkness that surrounded me seemed to stretch out to every horizon.Submitted by Bob; no takers

4) The last few decades have belonged to a certain kind of person with a certain kind of mind - computer programmers who could crank code, lawyers who could craft contracts, MBAs who could crunch numbers.The real thing! Taken by arnie (of course Wink)

5) I'm not sure what it was I disliked about his appearance the most; the long unkempt greasy hair, or the dirt that was ever-present under his fingernails.Submitted by arnie; fooled WM

6) Ever since Descartes we have separated our minds from the rest of our being. Submitted by Asa; fooled Proof

7) Some minds, like storage units, are neatly organized, clean, and efficient, while others are dangerously disordered, dirty and dodgy.Submitted by Proof; no takers

P.S. I am really enjoying the book.