Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Call My Bluff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call My Bluff Login/Join

posted
At last night's chat I learned that this forum has its own version of Call My Bluff, so I thought I'd dig out this article from the excellent UK Gameshows site. I'm sure you know the format - two teams of three celebrities, each member of one team gives a definition of a word, and a member of the opposing team has to guess the true one.

As mentioned briefly, the show originally ran for six months in the US in 1965, where it wasn't a great success. It was then picked up by the BBC for its new "highbrow" channel BBC2, where it became a mainstay of the schedules, running until 1988. After that it was revived as a daytime programme on the main channel, BBC1, in a version that I think was better than the original - the team captains, Sandi Toksvig and the late Alan Coren, had a rapport that was lacking in earlier versions of the show. It ran for five days a week - the production schedule must have been punishing!

It continued for a couple of years with Rod Liddle replacing Sandi Toksvig, but the pairing with Coren never really took off and it was axed in 2005.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I preferred the original Monday night version in its classic form with Robert Robinson, Frank Muir and Patrick Campbell. (I believe Robert Morley preceded Campbell but I never saw that version.)

Anyway, if you want to kick off a new round of our game here's how it works.

You find a word that you think is so obscure that no one here will know it and you start a thread with just the word - no definition.

Everybody who wants to play makes up a definition and sends it to you in a Private Message.

When you have enough you add the real definition, mix them up and post them, numbered but without saying who sent them.

Everybody who wants to play, even people who didn't send a definition, can then add to the thread just saying which one they think is correct - no other comment yet!

When everyone has played, you post the answers showing which one is real, who provided each of the others, who was fooled by each one and, if anybody did, who got it right.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I preferred the original Monday night version in its classic form with Robert Robinson, Frank Muir and Patrick Campbell. (I believe Robert Morley preceded Campbell but I never saw that version.)

I liked Frank Muir but I'm afraid Patrick Campbell's stammer just used to irritate me. His replacement, Arthur Marshall, wasn't much better with his silly schoolgirlish giggling. (I don't remember Morley either.)

quote:
Anyway, if you want to kick off a new round of our game here's how it works.

You find a word that you think is so obscure that no one here will know it and you start a thread with just the word - no definition.

How do you stop people from googling the definition? Or is it "scout's honour"?

I have come across this game before - it was called "Fictionary Dictionary". You got a point if you guessed the right answer, but you also got a point if someone guessed one of your bluffs. Consequently there was scope for a cunning sort of double-bluff where a player might deliberately pick their own definition, hoping to mislead others into picking it as well!

Anyway, I'll try to come up with a word. Give me a little while...

posted Hide Post
Right you are, Guy. Fictionary, or the commercial version, Balderdash: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balderdash

On the chat I asked whether "docent" was common in the UK. It isn't, whereas it is in the US. It would have been interesting as a Bluffing Game choice, since all the US participants would have known it, but all the UK participants wouldn't have. Curious, that!

Please do post a new word and we'll have a go at it!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have done so. Hope it's not too easy!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well done, Guy.

I do remember Robert Morley, but his speaking style was not to my taste, far too florid. Patrick Campbell and Arthur Marshall put me off for the same reasons as Guy, but I think I preferred Paddy Campbell of the three. It's difficult, but as a pair, I think Sandi Toksvig and Alan Coren were the best, but as individuals I feel Frank Muir and Toksvig were the best panellists.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandi Toksvig was undoubtedly the most skilful player of the game. I remember one occasion when, asked to define "nunchaka", she came up with a story about spotting a nun, deciding to kill her, and getting out your nunchaka for the purpose. Of course the audience fell about laughing, and she wasn't believed.

But it was true: a nunchaka is a martial arts weapon (sometimes spelt "nunchaku"), and you could use it to kill a nun if you wanted to. (As Sandi said when revealing the true definition: "I made the bit about the nun up!")

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Those who have been to The Victoria, where the Simpletons speaking club meets, will be interested to learn that I run a "call my bluff" evening once a year there.

And on the 24th of this month (my birthday!) starting at 1930 there is a debate on the proposition:

"This House believes that the proposed legislation to allow pubs to sell beer in two-thirds of a pint measures is a threat to the sanctity of the Imperial Pint"

I am apeaking for the motion and, to help lubricate the proceedings , Fuller's will be supplying a firkin of London Pride, free of charge, for all attendees - whether they choose to speak in the debate or not.

All are welcome - although clearly it will be a more accessible event for those based near London.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
a nunchaka is a martial arts weapon (sometimes spelt "nunchaku"),

Called nonchucks here and absolutely illegal to use.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes of course. In case there are any legal problems with my last post I'd like to point out that I do not advocate the killing of nuns by any means. Sandi Toksvig will have to answer for herself Smile

I'm not sure about the legal status of the weapon in the UK, but I do know that James Ferman, the former head of the British Board of Film Classification, absolutely forbade its appearance in any film shown in this country, in case someone made one for themselves and used it in anger. I believe the restriction has now been dropped.