Wordcraft Community Home Page
Limerick: Ayr (note the change from "Eire")

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/410600694/m/5920005286

April 09, 2016, 22:11
Kalleh
Limerick: Ayr (note the change from "Eire")
Shu's limerick destination was changed from "Eire" to "Ayr." Please see my post below - and sorry for the confusion.

Please send me your "Ayr" limericks, and I'll post them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
April 10, 2016, 01:56
Greg S
Pronounced "air" I presume?

Regards Greg
April 10, 2016, 03:26
BobHale
No, pronounced with two syllables air-uh (second syllable is a scwha)
In my non-rhotic British accent there are plenty rhymes - for example "fairer" but those of you with rhotic accents that pronounce the last r in those words will struggle.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
April 10, 2016, 19:58
Greg S
Perfect for those of us (I guess it's only me) who speak "Strine". For those who don't know Strine=Strayan=Australian from a book written in the 60s called "Let Stalk Strine" by an Italian whose name if I recall it correctly was Nino Cullotta, but who used the psuedonym "Afferbeck Lauder" (= Alphabetical Order) for the book.

Regards Greg
April 10, 2016, 21:08
Kalleh
Shu says he intended it to be the city of Ayr. So let's change it from "Eire" to "Ayr," pronounced like "air."

quote:
This truth fand honest Tam o' Shanter,
As he frae Ayr ae night did canter,
(Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses
For honest men and bonie lasses.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
April 11, 2016, 00:09
BobHale
That certainly would make it easier. Big Grin

April 12, 2016, 20:32
Kalleh
Well, the problem also was that in the U.S. many of us pronounce Eire to rhyme with "fire." We knew that would create a whole other situation!

Now - please send me your limericks. This one should be easy so you can have your fun in other ways. Wink
April 13, 2016, 21:56
Kalleh
Yay - I have three from one person! Now, send me more. This one is easy, but I know, from the 3 I've received, that it can be fun as well. Smile
April 14, 2016, 04:47
BobHale
I'll get something in at the weekend

April 16, 2016, 00:29
BobHale
Sent one... but let's not forget Edward Lear beat us all to this one when he penned

There was a young person of Ayr,
Whose head was remarkably square:
On the top, in fine weather,
She wore a gold feather;
Which dazzled the people of Ayr.

April 18, 2016, 20:19
Kalleh
Ah yes.

I got yours and Greg's. I need more though! Come on folks. Pretty please? With Sugar?
April 20, 2016, 06:21
Geoff
I'm trying. Many people have told me that.
April 22, 2016, 10:54
Kalleh
Smile

Well, try limerick writing...
April 25, 2016, 20:42
Kalleh
Just a couple of days more...
April 27, 2016, 19:48
Kalleh
One more day for stragglers.
May 02, 2016, 06:40
Greg S
Hi Wordcraft friends,

Rather than vote for my limericks (not that you can tell which ones are mine), I would much rather you voted for my embryonic business that I have entered in a competition where the winner gets $15,000 to kick-start their business. Just visit this Website Nescafe Headstart Competition - Just Plane Sailing. Just click on the Red Button in the top right corner to give me a vote, and if you really like my idea share the link with your friends and tell them to vote for it too.

Oh and I almost forgot, check out the video there (it is only just over a minute long) if you want to see some of my amazing Paper Plane designs in action.

So many typos in the original message I had to edit it 4 times. I have dyslexic typing fingers.

Thanks.

Regards Greg
May 02, 2016, 20:58
Kalleh
Will do, Greg.

I will post the poll on Wednesday.