Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Mount Eliza Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Mount Eliza Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
OK not a large number of limericks - must be the time of year- but some goodies. By the way I am declaring up front that my limerick is Limerick No. 1. I am doing this so that if you are sick of having to write limericks for my silly Aussie towns or you don't want me to win 3 in a row, you can consciously choose to vote for one of the others.

The limericks are:

Although he discounts 'n' denies 'er
Should e'er Authur's Seat mount a riser,
And even though Arthur
Was born to Mount Martha,
He'll surely one day Mount Eliza.

Some conspiratitists say Fred the Kaiser
Isn’t dead but lives near Mount Eliza,
Where he plots foreign wars
For his Germanic cause --
A lot older but really no wiza.

A tarty young tour advertiser
'D been lucky when they did baptize 'er--
As a babe in white gown
She'd been named for her town--
Her card read "Do Come/Mount Eliza"

I'll put on my special sun visor
And venture to great Mount Eliza.
I'll buy me a ticket
To football and cricket;
But...won't come home any the wiser.

A nasty bugger from Mount Eliza
Went to work in the company Pfizer
He was fired for a quirk
For he wore nothing to work
But shoes, socks, and a cap with a visor

"I think you would like Mount Eliza"
Remarked my financial adviser.
So I chose Davey's Bay
And spent all of my pay --
Now sadly I'm poorer but wiser.

It’s a fact that our Dad is a miser
Despite making a killing with Pfizer.
He hides bars of gold
In a cellar midst mold
In a hovel atop Mount Eliza.

Question:
So vote for your favourite now, even if you didn't submit one.

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We finally get to vote! Yah!!!!

This was has drawn various responses. I always like those types of polls...because usually I get at least one vote that way. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and as to where the name came from (at least according to Neal Stephenson) I'm afraid you'll have to read the Baroque Trilogy yourself to find out. Because first you need to learn who Eliza is, and it's a big enough saga that I'd have to re-read it, too, to find where the naming occurs.

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Onto the Baroque Trilogy for me! Wink

Now we have a 3-way tie. This is one interesting game!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on Mount Eliza haberdasher. I guess I'll have to toss in a casting vote soon. It's good to see so many different limericks polling a vote, and even better to have more votes than we have limericks.

Regards Greg

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's only a couple of days ago and already I've forgotten which one I voted for. There were three that made my shortlist, but which one I eventually chose I can't recall!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
So have I - all I do know is that I didn't vote for my own - as is my usual practice when I have sumbitted an entry.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have cast my deciding vote. You will be pleased Richard that I resisted the temptation to declare my own the winner, but disappointed no doubt that it wasn't yours. Kalleh is the winner.

The limericks were from:

1 - me - thank you to those of you who voted for it, despite me suggesting up front that you not do so. For those of you who missed the point Authur's Seat, Mount Martha and Mount Eliza are all places on the Mornington Peninsula.

2 - Proofreader - I liked it a lot, very clever, but sadly no votes.

3 - Bethree5 - I would have voted for this one had I not been required to split the 3-way tie.

4 - Kalleh - The footy and cricket reference won me over, and yes Aussie Rules Football and Cricket certainly need more than one viewing for you to gain an understanding of either game.

5 - Metic - I think this might be your first vote in our games, well done.

6 - Richard - Right up there with Richard's usual standard. Liked the Davey's Bay reference - almost the winner.

7 - Proof again - another one to use Pfizer. Not sure how the only two limericks not to get a vote were both Proof's, when they are both so good.

So take it away Kalleh. No more complaining about not getting votes or winning.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Well done, Kalleh.

Though I can't comceive why Americans can't understand cricket - such a simple game:

The rules of cricket.
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

In fact, cricket is probably the only game that has no rules - it has laws. And if you really want to know what they are, the MCC site - http://www.lords.org/laws-and-...aws-of-cricket/laws/ - will tell you all.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Thank you! I imagine Greg felt a little sorry for me, but I'll take the win! A new venue will be posted as soon as I can think of something fun.