Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Larrikin
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Larrikin Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Wordmatic. I have revised it.

Arnie, here is a link to a good discussion of the word. It actually originated in the Black Country of England. On the other hand, as you can see, Wikipedia questions the "neutrality" of the entry, and also asks for sources of the quotes. Interesting, because I haven't seen those comments in a Wikipedia article before.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It seems I should have researched the meaning a bit better before giving Kalleh, the simple on I did! Sorry! I did, however, refer to the Wikipedia article. So what say we move the word to Q&A and have a proper go at it?

BTW, I seem to have NO problems with Wordcraft now that I use Firefox to access it!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Sorry, Wordmatic. I have revised it.

Arnie, here is a link to a good discussion of the word. It actually originated in the Black Country of England.

It did?
I've lived in the Black Country all my life and I've never heard it. Older residents use lots of older terms but I've never heard it from them either. My Dad is in his eighties and he's never heard it.
In fact I haven't been able to find a single person around here who has heard it. I'm dubious about this origin.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well - this word has been quite an adventure! Well done, Asa! I love it!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Macquarie link gives the origin of the word as 'Warwickshire and Worcestershire' which is close enough to the Black Country in my book. Wink I purposely used that source since it comes from Australia.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, you asked the meaning of "doublet." I thought of it because "larrikin" sounded Shakespearean to me and the male characters in Shakespeare's plays always wear doublets and hose and those ruffled shirts that are not called larrikins.

I was surprised to see how many definitions there were for "doublet" in the M-W dictionary:

Main Entry: dou·blet
Pronunciation: 'd&b-l&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French dublet, from duble
1 : a man's close-fitting jacket worn in Europe especially during the Renaissance
2 : something consisting of two identical or similar parts: as a : a lens consisting of two components; especially : a handheld magnifier consisting of two lenses in a metal cylinder b : a spectrum line having two close components c : a domino with the same number of spots on each end
3 : a set of two identical or similar things: as a : two thrown dice with the same number of spots on the upper face b : one of nine pairs of microtubules found in cilia and flagella
4 : one of a pair; specifically : one of two or more words (as guard and ward) in the same language derived by different routes of transmission from the same source

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Asa had referred me to the Wikipedia article, and I confess that I just reported the definition he gave me. Therefore, sorry, arnie, Jo, and Myth Jellies...you got it wrong! Wink

Asa, I agree, please post it in Q&A, and let's discuss the word properly. Bob, please read my comment from Wikipedia. Even they questioned the veracity of that entry, so it surely wasn't posted as fact. I am not sure that I trust Macquarie, either. I agree with arnie that I'd like to hear from the Australians on this one.

Yes, Asa, this was a great word, so start a thread on it...please?

Thanks, Wordmatic, for that little lesson on "doublet." I like the "one of nine pairs of microtubules found in cilia and flagella." Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post