Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Phrase: "Carry his can"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phrase: "Carry his can" Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
While scrolling through wordnerd's link to find one of the defined terms, my eye came across this:

carry the can: To take responsibility for a mistake. E.g."I'm not carrying the can for your inability to control your kids." {Informal}

Now, I'd heard the phrase only once, in an epitath, but with the entirely different meaning of "to drink alcohol."
quote:
Upjohn Adams lies here, of the parish of Southwell,
A carrier who carried his can to his mouth well;
He carried so much, and he carried so fast,
He could carry no more, so was carried at last;
For the liquor he drunk was too much for the one,
He could not carry off, so he's now carrion."
Can anyone cast light on this phrase?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Tip: when curious about the origin of a phrase or saying, always check the World Wide Words site out first. http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-car1.htm

EDIT: I just realised I forgot to mention the "carry his can" phrase.

I suspect that is nothing more than a punning reference to the usual phrase, and is unique to the epitaph cited.

[This message was edited by arnie on Tue Oct 21st, 2003 at 10:42.]

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Arnie, you've prompted me to do some research about "carry the can". Not to disagree with World Wide Words, of course, but:

One of the meanings of "can" is "a vessel for holding liquids; specifically: a drinking vessel." (in link, click to "²can")
"Fill the cup and fill can, Have a rouse before the morn." -- Tennyson.
"And let me the canakin clink, clink; / And let me the canakin clink / A soldier's a man; / A life's but a span; / Why, then, let a soldier drink." -- Shakespeare; Othello II, iii

The epitaph I cited, using that sense of "can" came from memory enhancd by finding it on the web in John Ploughman's Talks by C. H. Spurgeon (1834-92). That work was published in 1869, so the epitaph and cited phrase also go back quite a way. Another website attributes the epitaph to Lord Byron, who died in 1824, but I cannot vouch for the attribution.

None of this is contrary to World Wide Words, but adds another dimension.