Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Aiglet
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Aiglet Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since nobody's jumping in with a new word, I'll do it again: Send me your made-up definition (daffynition) for aiglet via PM.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's in. Thanks for giving us a new word in the new year!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Mine's sent

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Five so far, but the one in limerick form leaves me confused. Will the author please help me out!

posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
My gem is in

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Mine's in your mailbox.
WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...It's ten days since aiglet was first proposed - is it time for a vote?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's time, all right, but I don't ahve the time. I'll give it another day, hoping some more people will PM a daffynition.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Finally, a long enough break to post the daffynitions!

1. The name given to points scored in the sport of Eton Fives which resembles squash but is played with the hand rather than a racquet.

2. Navel body jewelry; belly button ring

3. A cut of beef similar to rib-eye steak.

4. A stone cottage at the tip of a promontory.

5. A small sharp needle (whence aglet, the hard end-piece on a shoelace, from Latin, acus, needle)

6. A small, tan blemish, generally appearing on the skin of the shin or thigh in older human patients.

7. Ornamental filigree on uniforms, etc.

8. A tissue sample containing stem cells, named for Norman Aiglon, biochemist.

That's it; the truth resides somewhere about.

<Proofreader>
posted
A whore in Horsham named Ruby
Was engaging in some "scooby-dooby."
"Would you take off your coat
Since I think you should note
That your aiglet is scratching my booby."

I'll take seven.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
#5 for me, please.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
5. for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Darn! I reckon arnie should have to vote last because now it's obvious that it must be number 5 so I'm voting for 7.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harrumph. I wanted to see "a one-egg omelet [Southern US dialect]" or at least "small cruet for salad dressing" 'cuz vinegar is "Sharp Wine" (vin aigre) in French, but no takers.

Guess I'll have to invoke Dick Dauntless* and vote for 5.

[edit typo: dialet --> dialect. Bah.]

*("If you wish in this world to advance/Your merits you're bound to enhance/You must stir it and stump it/and blow your own trumpet/Or trust me you haven't a chance!" -- Ruddigore)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know I should take 5, but it's 7 for me. That was my original pick before I read the answers here.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
>DOH< I thought aiglet was a wee eagle.

No 7 just because (tell ya later)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
>DOH< I thought aiglet was a wee eagle.

No 7 just because (tell ya later)

...You get "scrambled eggs" on the visor of your uniform hat if you're O4 (Major, in the Army) or above - does that qualify?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Indeed it does, sirrah, especially if embroidered in yolk-yellow cotton threaded through a regulation aiguille

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This was an odd round. There were essentially two right answers. Haberdasher stuck a pin in the etymology by saying it was from the Latin for "needle." So, those of you who went for # 5 get credit for a correct response. Also, those who selected # 7 are correct. "Aiglet" is an alternative spelling of "aglet," which many of you know as the little hard tips on shoe laces, but it's a whole lot more! http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/difficu...s/data/d0000457.html and http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aiglet and http://www.aarg.com.au/Aiglet.htm and http://www.morewords.com/word/aiglet/ Nobody mentioned a catkin or an aeroplene!

1. The name given to points scored in the sport of Eton Fives which resembles squash but is played with the hand rather than a racquet. Bob Hale's daffynition

2. Navel body jewelry; belly button ring Kalleh's submission

3. A cut of beef similar to rib-eye steak. Arnie's daffynition

4. A stone cottage at the tip of a promontory. Proof reader presented the promontory possibility

5. A small sharp needle (whence aglet, the hard end-piece on a shoelace, from Latin, acus, needle) Haberdasher's

6. A small, tan blemish, generally appearing on the skin of the shin or thigh in older human patients. Wordmatic's suggestion

7. Ornamental filigree on uniforms, etc. One of the real ones

8. A tissue sample containing stem cells, named for Norman Aiglon, biochemist. One I threw in

I hope someone will come up with a better word for the next round.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, finally I got one right. I had a vague notion of the word, though I wasn't confident at all.

Thanks, Asa!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think that must have been the first game no-one got wrong; everybody chose either 5 or 7!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post