Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Vashon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Vashon Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Vashon, in the state of Washington, is an island in Puget Sound about 60 percent larger in area than Manhattan, with about 1/150 the population. There are no bridges to connect the island with the mainland, contributing to the island's relative isolation and rural character. Until WWII many areas were strawberry fields owned and farmed by Japanese-Americans. Today the island's inhabitants are mostly commuters to Tacoma and Seattle, though many small farms still provide fresh organic produce to locals.

Note the pronunciation; it doesn't rhyme with "fashion": (văsh'ŏn)

PM limericks to me

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
So what does it rhymes with - for the benefit of those who don't read phoenetic?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bash on?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to this guide - http://www.stevensauke.com/say/northwest.html - it is pronounced "VASH-on" - which for me is a perfect rhyme with "fashion" (FASH-on - with the last syllable being, of course, a schwa).

There is an online pronouncing dictionary - http://education.yahoo.com/ref...ntry/Vashon%20Island - but unfortunately the .wav link does not work.

My guess is that it's not the fact that Vashon does not rhyme with fashion - it's that the US and UK pronunciations of fashion vary.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Well if the -on is a schwa, then it rhymes with fashion here in Aus too, but Arnie has suggested that it is not a schwa making it rhyme with "bash on", in which case it doesn't ryhme with fashion.

So B35 can you clarify please, so we can get on with writing limericks. Thanks.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
If you click on the underlined phonetic pronunciation guide in my post, you can listen to the American Heritage Dictionary audio link. I meant that Vashon doesn't rhyme with 'fashion' thus:
fashion -> FASH 'n
Vashon -> VASH-on

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
These can never be easy, can they? I'll send you one, but I am not sure I'll have the rhyming right.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
If you click on the underlined phonetic pronunciation guide in my post, you can listen to the American Heritage Dictionary audio link. I meant that Vashon doesn't rhyme with 'fashion' thus:
fashion -> FASH 'n
Vashon -> VASH-on

Unfortunately the sound logo doesn't work for me and I can find no other guide that includes the place.

Maybe if you coudl tell us what the name DOES rhyme with, rather than what is doesn't we might stand a better chance. Of course, if it doesn't rhyme with anything at all then we stand no chance at all Wink

Richard English

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Speaker Icon in the linked to page worked for me, and according to that Arnie is right, it's not a schwa and rhymes with "Bash On".

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's now working for me and I agree - it rhymes with "BASH-on". I can't presently think of any word that rhymes with that - but there are several phrases.

I will work on it.

Richard English

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
& will no doubt win as usual >sigh< Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sent you a couple.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
We have 7 entries from 5 posters so far. Good show! I'll let those creative juices flow for a couple more days while we Yanks cook turkeys, poll should go up Fri, so have at it, limerick-writers.

<Proofreader>
posted
I can hardly wait to see if I wrote one of them.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Wake up, B5. The holiday is over.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sorry spazzing out on the poll application! Will PM you for advice.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sorry for delay, low-techie here. Can someone PM me who's used poll application? PM's to 3 people w/a Q, so far no response.

<Proofreader>
posted
I've sent instructions.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
THANKS. Finally I am in the know (for all those future contests I am sure to win haha). Vashon Poll is up.