Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Venus Bay Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Venus Bay Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
OK 36 hours no more submissions, so time to get this game over with and move on to a better one. The limericks received are:

When you said we could meet down in Venus Bay
The Victorian one's not where you'd seen us stay.
We had stayed in the South
(Where we lived hand to mouth)
Where the wreck of the schooner called Venus lay.

In Australia I love Venus Bay
Its beaches all call: "Keenest stay!"
So wear your bikini
All teeny and weeny
And gracefully sway as men bray!

A large-weaponed man from Salinas may
Try to put it to use down in Venus Bay.
“I’ve heard Venus Bay chicks
Like their men with huge pricks,
And I’m certain to make some big 'penis pay'.”

On board the good ship Venus Bay
They'd surely have seen us - they
Know the old song
But it's clearly quite wrong
Since here we all write in the cleanest way.

For those who have never heard the song which inspired this limerick, there is a version of it here - http://board.jokeroo.com/funny...enus-rugby-song.html - But beware, it is not for the prudish Red Face

A failed gigolo from Venus Bay -
When pimped to the girls, he'd display
All his great abs and pecs
But when called on for sex,
They would not for his small penis, pay!

A rogue Yank so dear loved Venus Bay
He resolved to dwell deep in her sway
Trucking sand to the reef
He established a fief
Which is called to this day Penis Cay.

Question:
So cast you vote now, for the one that appeals most to you.

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Come on...we need more votes! Heck, I at least want one vote! Mad

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
At this stage it's looking like I'll have to use my vote to decide the winner, but I'm still hanging on to the hope that someone else will do it for me.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Or maybe three more so that I'll win? Big Grin

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Predicably, I suppose, the limericks that have so far attracted the most votes are not the most accurate, nor the best rhyming nor even the best scanning - they are the most salacious.

Long live the tradition of the sexy limerick!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I'll give it another day or two and if the picture hasn't been clarified, I'll cast a vote to make one of the tied three, the winner.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Well this is embarrassing. Someone else has voted now, and mine is now in front with 3 votes. So now I am in an even bigger quandary than I was before. Do I cast my vote for one of the others making it a tie for 1st, and then use my casting vote to declare the one I voted for as the winner, or just leave it as is. I hope none of you will think ill of me because I have ultimately chosen to leave it as is. My main reason for doing this was that if I had cast my vote earlier in the piece I would have actually voted for No. 1, which I will do now.

So the limericks came from:

1 - Richard - This was my favourite because of the clever way he worked in the fact that there are 2 Venus Bays in Aus.
2 - Kalleh - I probably would have voted for this one if Kalleh could have worked a Venus rhyme into L5.
3 - Proofreader - the one I would have voted for if I'd been forced to use my vote to break the tie.
4 - Richard - I couldn't really make this one scan.
5 - me
6 - Bethree - Unfortunately I didn't get it - sorry for my ignorance it is probably really clever, but what and where is "Penis Cay".

I will post a new Game within 48 hours.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I agree about the scansion in my "Good Ship Venus" submission. In fact, the original song is actually a limerick - although not a very well scanning one - and my attempt was to try to make it a better limerick.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi folks,

Been very busy with work, so did not have time to submit a limerick. But here is a late submission for your pleasure, not for competition.

The workers of Venus bay
Don't get any bonus pay
Instead, workers mobs
Get frequent hand jobs
All year, except in May

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Metic,

Posts: 42 | Location: New England, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
A new game has been posted - Mount Eliza.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Greg, I think you are the big winner of all limericks!

Welcome back, Metic! I see that neveu has come back too after being gone for awhile. Yes, we do get busy, don't we?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Metic! I like yours better than any of those submitted.

Mine tho scanning & rhyming perfectly seems to convey little meaning Red Face. >sigh< The idea was that this fellow built himself a little island-- fictional of course!-- a 'penis' within 'venus'. A cay (pronounced as spelled by Americans) is an islet formed by sands piling onto a reef, either man-made or by tides.

I will keep trying!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
A cay (pronounced as spelled by Americans)
Is it really? That explains (sorta) such names as Key West and the Florida Keys. I assumed you were using a sight-rhyme.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bethree5,
Thanks for your kind comments. I did like your limerick as well. It does have perfect scansion, from what I can tell.

Posts: 42 | Location: New England, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post