Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Durban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Durban Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Considering many of us right across the globe will be having a secondary eye on the happenings in South Africa at the moment, with the World Cup, most of us (even us two down-under Football/Soccer minnows in Australia and New Zealand making it to the final 32) having our own countries involved, I thought we should do one of the cities hosting the matches and the easiest one to rhyme is Durban.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, I love it! I was in Durban last year at this time, so that city has a lot of meaning to me. I will come up with one soon!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Only 2 limericks received so far.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Only 2 limericks received so far.
Mind you, it is quite tricky to rhyme. Probably easier than Stellanbosh or Port Elizabeth - but not all that much easier.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
One from Richard, Kalleh, Proof and me only so far. Can we have a few more please.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
24 hours for the stragglers and then I'll post the Poll

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Poll has been posted with 8 limericks from 6 competitors.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I know I've asked previously and I also know I've forgotten: can we vote for our own?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The answer is, as always, nothing prevents it but your sense of honour.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
The answer is, as always, nothing prevents it but your sense of honour.
Which means that, even if I truly believe my submission to be the best, I should vote for another's since this would be the honourable thing to do - is that correct?

The problem is, of course, that the voting population is just too small. If it were 100, then one self-vote would make a difference of 1%; with a voting population of less than ten, a self-vote will make a 10% difference - quite enough to skew the results.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No. It means that you judge what you want to do. I never consider voting for my own but others can if they wish.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
If I genuinely believe my own limerick to be the best I simply abstain from voting and let others decide.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know I've asked previously and I also know I've forgotten: can we vote for our own?
Have you ever seen the movie "Groundhog Day?" This question reminds me of that movie. Wink

Richard, forget a sense of honor. Forget abstaining. Vote for your own, if you think it best. Clearly, that's what you wish to do, and go ahead. We won't hold it against you...and we won't even know who voted for whom. As Nike says, "Just Do It."

In this game, mine deserves no votes. For some reason I had trouble with this one, most likely because it was late at night and I wanted to get it submitted.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Richard, forget a sense of honor. Forget abstaining.

But do remember the answers to this question, which you've asked on at least three occasions now.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the reason I forget the answer is that it is not a very clear answer. Since the answer is, yes or no - or even maybe - it all depends.

It is amazingly forgettable.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Really? I thought it quite clear.
The answer is "it's up to you".

So you may take that as a "Yes".

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Or "No", if you like.

Note that I used the word "answers" (plural).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the reason I forget the answer is that it is not a very clear answer. Since the answer is, yes or no - or even maybe - it all depends.
Richard, Richard, Richard. The answer is very clear. It's up to the individual. There is no rule about that. Go ahead. Vote for yours. I bet it's very good. I have guessed which one it might be, and, if so, it deserves your vote.

posted Hide Post
I have now voted - I won't say for whom.

Richard English

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
We will all know because there were 2 votes before you posted this message and if you had successfully voted there would now be 3, unless of course you were one of the first two to vote (in which case we won't know - except of course for the other voter who hopefully won't tell).

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I was the second person to vote, so there!

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, I was the second person to vote. There was one vote when I voted. That was a few days ago, and there are still only 2 votes now. Why aren't people voting?

I won't tell.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Yes we should be getting at least 6 votes from the 6 competitors, and hopefully a few from the other regulars who haven't entered this time as they won't be swayed by the "should I vote for my own" dilemma. So come on Michael, Stella, Arnie and Geoff - you didn't play this time so how about voting.

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Odd, because I'm sure I voted already. I'll go and try again if you like.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I tried. It told me I have already voted. So if Kalleh, Richard and I have all voted why does it say only two votes have been counted?

posted Hide Post
I still only claims that 2 votes have been recorded. I reckon it's blown a gasket, or maybe it just needs winding up.

Richard English

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Very odd. I'll kill off the old one and start a new thread for Voting, which should fix whatever problem there is.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
New Poll now posted.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Richard & Kalleh,

I would appreciate it if you would re-cast your votes in the new Poll ASAP to ensure everything is fine with the software. At present it looks like it may be stuck on 2 votes again (this time being Arnie & Bob).

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
It seems to be working now. Four votes registered as of now.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From some high level, statistical analyses, I've calculated that, to a p value of 0.00001, Richard did not vote for himself.