Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Foreign Words    Spanish word meaning "home" and a bit more...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanish word meaning "home" and a bit more... Login/Join

posted
Hello there!

I am desperate to find a Spanish word meaning not only "home", but also the place where one can find themselves back, rest, and generally talking feel themselves. I had found this "untranslatable" word along with its definition on a weblog, but no way to find it back, and I desperately need it for tomorrow morning *glups*.

Anyone would know the word and its English definition?
Thanks in advance! =)

Posts: 4 | Location: London, United KingdomReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aaah I found it!

Apropos of recent musings, Juanita B., our favorite new-breed librarian, writes to remind me of the wonderful word querencia. It’s a little hard to translate directly into English; words like “home,” “nest” or “sanctuary” have resonances that can’t quite be trimmed to fit.

Juanita cites Barry Lopez’s The Rediscovery of North America: “Lopez explains that querencia is a place where one feels secure, ‘a place from which one’s strength of character is drawn.’ In Spain, it is the place in the ring where the wounded bull goes to renew his strength and center himself, ready for a fresh charge. What a beautiful concept: ‘A place in which we know exactly who we are. The place from which we speak our deepest beliefs.’”

Seen on Thinking Machine, http://thinkingmachine.blogsome.com/2005/09/29/lost-in-translation/

Thanks for your help anyway!
Bruno

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't say that we did much to help, but you're very welcome, Bruno! Smile But then you didn't give us much time, did you?

An interesting blog you cited. Thanks for the link.

I hope you like what you see here on Wordcraft; do stick around and join in!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bruno, welcome! Big Grin And you're from England, too!

quote:
But then you didn't give us much time, did you?

Yes...only 5 minutes! Glad you found the answer, though.

Posts: 24500 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the welcoming!

Indeed I didn't let you much time, in fact I spent two hours Googling madly, and then I remembered about Technorati (.com) that allows you to search in more than 22 million blogs! I searched for "spanish untranslatable home", and it came up ^^

And yes, this forum seems interesting indeed, I just have to wander a bit through the various topics =)

Have a nice day/afternoon/night, depending on where you are.
B.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Querencia - what a beautiful word. I do love the meaning.

I also have loved the meaning of sankofa . . . it's used occassionally by African-American leaders in my neighborhood, and everyone nods sagely when they speak of it, but I had to look it up! It was a hard word to really get my head around at first, but now that I know it, I understand.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Querencia is indeed lovely -- but what about hogar?

This word connotes all the warm, fuzzy, cozy aspects of home, hearth, snug, safe.

The Spanish for "home sweet home" is "hogar dulce hogar".

David

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just happened upon this thread again, as my Wordcraftjr theme is "Intriguing Foreign Words." I clicked Bruno's link (where is he anyway?), and found this:

"Sankofa is an Akan word that means, ‘We must go back and reclaim our past so we can move forward; so we understand why and how we came to be who we are today.’"

Wow...one word to mean all of that! I am fairly certain that we don't have a similar word. Wink

BTW, what is "Akan?"

Posts: 24500 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Akan is a language in Ghana. If you google on akan and sankofa you'll find a whole bunch of different meanings in English.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5097 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hej there!

I had forgotten about this thread, although I keep reading this forum, filled with interesting discussions.

I found a book (Amazon link) gathering all those language-specific, supposedly untranslatable words. It's very instructing, sometimes fun to read, and the words are various and well-explaned...