Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    DO NOT SAY THIS....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DO NOT SAY THIS.... Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
The Delaware Department of Transportation had to apologize after sending employees THIS brochure dealing with unacceptable language.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
What did they feel they needed to apologise for?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Apparently some of the affected groups thought it was politically incorrect to point out what was being said about them. This seemed to them to be a primer on ethnic and life-style slurs.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Yeah, I can't imagine calling someone a "coworker!" I can't imagine how those cows feel about getting orked.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've hosted collaborative conference calls with representatives from various organizations across the country. Afterwards I have debriefed with our committee members, and it always amazes me how different everyone's perception is about the conference call.

My point is...I found that brochure quite insulting. Perhaps some wouldn't, and that's why the brochure was designed. Sometimes you just can't predict reactions, either, though in this case I would have thought they might. For example, their comment saying "All Asians are not IT professionals" is ridiculous! Or their comment about people with disabilities: "Never refer to a co-worker as a 'retard.'" Are they joking?! And their comment to an African American: "Should we order fried chicken or watermelon for you?" is just plain inane. Come on. People don't need to be told that, do they?

But then I think back to those conference call debriefings. When I think an organization is on board with us, another will think they are in opposition. Perceptions are all very strange.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently some of the affected groups thought it was politically incorrect to point out what was being said about them. This seemed to them to be a primer on ethnic and life-style slurs.

I think I'd have been tempted to tell them to grow up and get on with life. But then I'm not much into political correctness.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, come on. Those comments weren't about "political correctness"...they were wrongheaded advice to employees whom they must think are complete nincompoops. Do they really think they have to tell their employees not to use the "n-word" around African Americans? Oy vey! [Speaking of which, I wonder what the great state of Delaware would "advise" about the Jews.]

After reading this "brochure" again, I now wonder if it is a farce. I can't believe this would be a governmental directive. Even the government isn't that stupid, is it? This may be one for Snopes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Do they really think they have to tell their employees not to use the "n-word" around African Americans? Oy vey! [Speaking of which, I wonder what the great state of Delaware would "advise" about the Jews.]

After reading this "brochure" again, I now wonder if it is a farce. I can't believe this would be a governmental directive. Even the government isn't that stupid, is it? This may be one for Snopes.

Yes, Kalleh, a sophisticated, highly educated woman such as yourself would be insulted to receive such instructions in the workplace, but not everybody is as enlightened or tolerant as you! I didn't check it on Snopes, but, yes, I can believe some people would need to be officially informed that such language is forbidden. I have known people this ignorant, including some in-law members of my own family! This brochure was probably written by some well-meaning HR underling as part of their entire diversity training program and as a piece of written proof that they do not condone discrimination or enable a hostile workplace.

I was about to say something disparaging about Delaware, then thought better of it. Oh, what the heck? I will. The state has two distinct sections and cultures--north of the Delaware and Raritan Canal, which is urban Wilmington and suburbs, and south of the canal, called Lower Delaware. My former boss, a Delaware native, refers to the Southern half as "Slower Delaware." Possibly the brochure was written for this segment of the population!

With apologies to any Lower Delawareans among us,

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite. What Wordmatic said.

It's a bit like the instructions we receive these days when we travel on trains - "Mind the gap", "Make sure you take all your belongings with you when you leave the train", "Please make sure you put your luggage on the racks and do not block the gangways", "Please do not put your feet on the seats". Normal, intelligent and considerate people don't need to be told these things; sadly many people are neither intelligent nor considerate.

Whether it's better to upset the intelligent and considerate people by issuing these reminders, or to refrain from issuing them and put up with the consequences of the behaviour of the unintelligent and inconsiderate minority is, of course, a debateable point.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hope I didn't sound holier than thou, WM, because I surely didn't mean it that way. I can't imagine many people thinking of using those slurs, even the most bigoted. I've found racism, and other biases, have gotten more subtle in recent years. In some ways, that's worse, I suppose.

At any rate, it looks legitimate from the discussion on Snopes. However, if you read their discussion of it, many there are just as dumbfounded as I am, so I don't feel so bad.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin sorry I think it's simply hilarious. Seems the further one steps into political correctness, the more it sticks to one's shoes. Perhaps in the next brochure the DOT will scrape some of it off LOL.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess that's it. I just don't see that as political correctness. This crossed the line, in my opinion, to being just plain crass.

Perhaps I need to "cool my jets," as my kids would say. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
I received a belated birthday card from a friend and she included a "warning label" of sorts with it.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTABILITY -
(By accepting this greeting,
you are accepting these terms.
This greeting is subject to
clarification or withdrawal. It is freely
transferable with no alteration to the
original greeting. It implies no
promise by the wisher to actually
implement any of the wishes for
her/himself or others, and is
void where prohibited by law, and is
revocable at the sole discretion of
the wisher. This wish is warranted
to perform as expected within the
usual application of good tidings
for a period of one year, or until the
issuance of a subsequent birthday greeting,
whichever comes first, and warranty is
limited to replacement of this wish
or issuance of a new wish at the
sole discretion of the wisher.)

Her husband's a lawyer.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep. That sounds just like Shu. Sometimes when he talks to me I feel just like I am on the witness stand. Wink

Proof, I quickly looked to see if we've missed your birthday, and it wasn't there. What's the date?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
One positive thing I will say about this brochure - the DelDOT seems to be equal-opportunity. They even included things you shouldn't say to white people! You don't always see that in this sort of thing.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Proof, I quickly looked to see if we've missed your birthday, and it wasn't there. What's the date?

How could you miss it? It was on all the calendars. 3/27

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, you are right, proof. I did find it. I had thought it was in May so I hadn't looked back through the months.

Well...happy belatedly!

<Proofreader>
posted
Rather than start a new thread, here is where to go to find out how many folksingers it takes to change a lightbulb. Hat tip to Fritinancy.

Also courtesy of Nancy, go to I Scream for an interesting discussion of apostrophes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I like her "skirpantings." I remember when I used to wear "skorts." They had a skirt with shorts under them. So cool. Smile