Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Patriotically Correct
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patriotically Correct Login/Join

posted
I heard a right-wing type putting a new spin on "PC." It's the old bit, "My country, right or wrong" repackaged. It seems that patriotism has been usurped by just one type. Pretty darned dangerous, IMHO. I've long thought that "politically correct" was a silly, anti-University of Chicago sort of term, but this is worse!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If I understand you correctly, your right wing friend thinks we should be patriotically correct, meaning our country is always right, whether right or wrong. I tried to look it up and couldn't find much. One blog looked good, but the white on black is impossible to read. I agree that politically correct is a silly term. However, I do not see the current right-wingers being patriotic anymore. They seem to think our country is going to the dogs. In fact, I've rather enjoyed the Democrats becoming more patriotic and the Republicans giving it up.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per your link, Kalleh, I've noticed that Republicans have US flag lapel pins; Democrats do not. I couldn't find the source of your link, but did notice that he used the term, "calling a spade a coon." That's a souternism that's an insult to black people. "Spade" and "coon" have both been used to refer to black people. Considering the overall tone of his writing, does it not seem out of place? Overall, though, well done.

<Proofreader>
posted
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

Talk about having a crystal ball!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, that link seems so long ago now, and yet it hasn't even been a month. I just found it by googling. I had not noticed the "coon" or "spade" reference. Ugh! It is interesting that the Republicans used to wear the flags and be overly patriotic, accusing the Democrats of hating their country. Now that has been reversed, as Trump's tagline is "Make America Great Again." [I wonder if he includes Mexico in his America Wink.]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken, Baltimore Sun, July 26, 1920.

Talk about having a crystal ball!

Sure seems like it!

posted Hide Post
I have long been convinced that institutions purely democratic must, sooner or later, destroy liberty, or civilization, or both.

Lord Macaulay

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, my. We do have some pessimism here in the U.S., don't we? I am hoping congress will stand up to him. There are a fair number of legislators who don't support him, particularly after some of his appointments (like Steve Bannon). Let's see how it goes. I am worried about the Supreme Court, though.

posted Hide Post
In the late 50's or early 60's, my brother predicted that, within 50 years, someone would write a book called "The Rise and Fall of the United States." His timing was a bit off, but maybe we'll see that book yet.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A column by someone I know slightly:

For months, whenever I switched on my computer, I’d see a link about an October surprise that would completely disqualify Hillary Rodham Clinton as a presidential contender. I never clicked on that link.

Then, in October, nine days before the election, a two-sentence FBI letter announced the agency was reopening the investigation into her emails. The announcement fit perfectly into Trump’s “Crooked Hillary” campaign trail mantra: “Lock her up!”

As it turned out, the news of further investigation into her emails amounted to nothing. Two days before Election Day, the FBI sent an “oops” letter. But the damage was done.

That may have helped turn “October surprise” into November surprise. Donald Trump is now the improbable president of the United States of America, a surprise to millions who voted for HRC.

But the people have spoken, and the preliminary Electoral College count has confirmed Trump’s victory, even though it appears he lost the popular vote. Surprise.

With all deference to the sanctity of the Oval Office, no matter who occupies it, I too am surprised that a candidate who, throughout his campaign, offended just about everyone and everything, still managed to emerge victorious.

During the campaign primaries, he dragged his 15 opponents into a verbal swamp, causing each to drown. Apparently, they came to debate podiums ready to hold forth on substantive policy issues.

Next thing you know, surprise, Trump was throwing verbal grenades: Little Marco! (Rubio); Lyin’ Ted! (Cruz), and so forth. Struggling for air, instead of issues, they choked themselves by talking about the size of Trump’s hands.

Surprise, our president-elect offended blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, military generals, women, Republican party leaders like Paul Ryan and John McCain, the disabled, a Gold Star family, Dreamers, the media, the electoral process, and the cherished democratic tradition of the peaceful transfer of power.

Surprise, how could a suspect billionaire real estate mogul get untold millions of poor folk, farmers, coal miners, blue-collar workers, and small business owners to believe he was their champion?

Surprise, many Republican leaders refused to endorse him, as did major newspapers and corporate leaders. And he still won.

Surprise, even though presidential candidates have for decades made their tax filings public, Trump refused to do so until, he said, after the election.

Surprise, how could a presidential candidate who invited Russian strongman Vladimir Putin to hack into any American computer system do so without a thundering outcry from media, his own party, and voters?

Surprise, there are public allegations that his Slovenian wife, our new first lady, worked in America before she got her citizenship papers (the green card). That’s illegal, isn’t it?

Surprise, in the aftermath of the election, many of the political leaders who called him a con man, erratic and morally unfit for the presidency, and too thin-skinned to have access to the nuclear codes, seem to have forgotten all that.

I am surprised, too, that in cities across America, there are riotous anti-Trump protests. What is that all about? Is America that deeply divided?

Well, I should have known that, if the Chicago Cubs won the World Series 108 years after Tinker to Evers to Chance, and that a reported 5 million (!) Chicagoans would gather to cheer them on their Michigan Avenue celebratory bus ride, nothing should surprise me at all.

I was surprised to hear a veteran newsman say President Barack Obama is the most honorable leader in America’s history. He tempered the remark by noting that, given the history of the dubious private lives of many former presidents, this distinction was easily achieved.

(I would not be at all surprised if President Obama’s legacy is not in some accomplishment like ObamaCare, but in his personhood, the dignity with which he has always carried himself, and the role model he and his family set during his years in the White House.)

Finally, when all is said and done, and President-elect Trump learns the sobering secrets (secrets only a handful ever know) of leading this vast, diverse land and exercising its global military might, perhaps he will surprise us.

Yes, surprise us, Mr. Trump. Surprise us with kind words. Govern with respect for every American and the U.S. Constitution. Govern with leadership, vision, courage, goodness, and inclusivity.

This is America, where the improbable is always possible. Surprise us, Donald. You are known as a builder. Build bridges, not walls. Build unity, not division. Build freedom and justice for all.

Anderson resident Primus Mootry is a retired school teacher. His column appears Wednesdays in The Herald Bulletin.
Record: 722934c11dc12bbc794bcf437953e468adadb92Copyright: Copyright 2016, The Herald Bulletin / Community Newspaper Holdings, Inc. (CNHI). All Rights Reserved.

posted Hide Post
PS: Since T.Rump and Piss - er, Penis - I mean Pence are offended by the Hamilton cast's comments, do you suppose history will repeat and they'll gun down the actors?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I am hoping congress will stand up to him.
It took twenty minutes for me to catch my breath after finally controlling my hysterical laughter.

There is no way Congress will control our apprentice prez. He intends to do everything they've pushed for the last eight years. Did you see Mitt grovel for Sec of State yesterday? He called DJT a con man and worse but now he doesn't even apply Chapstick before kissing The Donald's butt. Same for Lying Ted ad others who previously disparaged Him Who Now Governs.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We'll see, Proof. I am not sure you're right. Congresspeople have their own egos. As it is, there is already disagreement among the Republicans about the upcoming Secretary of State nomination. They do not all step together. McCain spoke out quite boldly about how Trump never will, no matter what he says (and has said it, though his promises seem to be willy-nilly), support water boarding.

Geoff, a good, and positive, column. We need more positiveness right now.

Sorry, non-Americans, for keeping the conversation going. Many of us are in shock still.

posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that Jill Stein is pushing for a recount in some states. It won't help her personally, so maybe there IS altruism alive somewhere. Or maybe she's just scared silly like me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
She is an ordinary citizen, like we are, who is scared to death of the future. However, she does have a little pull, given her run for the presidency. It's probably best that she, and not Hillary, is in charge of this recount.

Frankly, I blame Jill for Hillary's loss. She should have been campaigning for Hillary, and instead she pulled votes from her. Every single vote for Jill would have gone to Hillary so she damned well should be doing this. I imagine some guilt may be behind this proposed recount in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Voters for Johnson probably would have split between Hillary and Donald so I don't blame Johnson as much.

BTW, Jill went to High School with Shu. Indeed her parents were quite good friends with Shu's parents.

<Proofreader>
posted
Trump was convinced the election was rigged but now calls asking for a recount a "scam".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Except - he says he really won the popular vote because millions of votes were fraudulent. I've never understood why he thinks HE got all the fraudulent votes.

We're going to have an interesting 4 years. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
I just renewed my passport - but who'll take us?