Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Just call me Nostradamus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just call me Nostradamus Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a post I made in April 2007.

quote:
This is part of a much wider question that philosophers have been pondering since humanity first learned to think and reason - how do you balance the rights of the individual against the rights of society? It's probably a question that has no answer. No one has found a good answer in the thousands of years people have been considering it. To take a different example, if I am sick and refuse treatment do you have the right to force me to take treatment or to lock me up if I don't. What if I'm sick with something contagious and deadly? What if it's contagious but relatively harmless. How do you balance my rights against the right of everyone else not to be exposed deliberately to a deadly infection.

And that's just one of thousands of scenarios where the rights of the individual come into conflict with the rights of society at large. It's probably a question that has no good answer.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit ironic calling you a Latinized rendering of "our lady." Or are you now one of those Mx folk?

The way one American jurist put is, "...the right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." Supposedly Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Did you know that Nostrodamus had to abandon his studies at the University of Avignon because of an outbreak of plague? Seems his life, and not just his words, had a tendency towards prophetic visions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post