Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Prognostication
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prognostication Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
There has been an astonishing new development in the David Beckham scandal.

You may be aware that both Sarah Marbeck and Rebecca Loos claim to have slept with him. Now, still another woman so claims. "In an astonishing twist in the continuing media saga of the Beckhams' private lives, Victoria Beckham has made a startling claim to have slept with her husband."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,
I would LOVE to visit Wrigley Field... all who go there are ecstatic.. and it's not the baseball game itself.. it's the atmosphere. Richard may like it in spite of himself...

Open minds...! Let a new draft through every now and then..Smile It will keep you young..

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Just the experience of going to a game in the "friendly confines" of Wrigley Field, drinking beer (aha!) and eating, being with enthusiastic people of all ages on a warm, beautiful day...well, I think he would change his mind...."

Clearly there will be differences between sports. At a football match in England the beer drunk will be cans of chemical fizz and the social interaction will frequently be a punch in the mouth.

At a cricket match (esepcially a local one) the drink is more likely to be Real Ale.

Furthermore, since even a short cricket match will last all day, the whole affair is far more leisurely. I do not follow cricket any more than I follow any other sport. However, the Reigate Cricket Club has its field at the back of the Blue Anchor and I sometimes lean on the wall and watch the play while enjoying a pint of Pride. It is, if you like, moving wallpaper.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
More Cross-Threading

Higgeldy Piggeldy
Beckham, Victoria,
Formerly part of the
Spice Girls revue,

Frets that her husband quite
Animalistically
Sleeps around. "Men are dogs!"
(What else is new?!)

Also, "Chemical fizz and a punch in the mouth" is a phrase that just screams out for a double dactyl to be written around it. Great word picture and perfect meter!

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Excellent, CJ! But I recall that you asked plaintively, "Why don't we talk about sex anymore?" That inspires this poor knock-off.

Higgeldy Piggeldy
"Beckham, Victoria,
Poor wounded wifey"? A
Cynic suspects

She, as a practicing
Heterosexual,
Frequently has extra-
Marital sex.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Hillary pillary
Posh Spice Victoria's
Husband's suspected of
Sleeping around.

What's wrong with seeking
Vitalvariety
Just so he's keeping both
Feet on the ground?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
To join the fun here (rather in the DD thread):

Higgledy Piggledy
Christopher, Jerry, Hic
Write double dactyls of
Beckham's affairs.

Coincidentally,
They're all American.
Sexual escapades
Everyone shares.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found an article about Michael Jordan that shows he is known worldwide. In searching for this thread, I found that we have 29 references to Michael Jordan on this board!

Anyway, in preparation for Michael's visit to Taiwan, the hotel extended the length of his bed 20 inches and raised the shower head 8 inches, according to the "China Post." They also reported that fan interest was so great that rooms were booked weeks ahead in hopes of seeing him. Further, to meet Jordan, the Chinese media suggested hiding in the restroom of every location Jordan is expected to visit.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Swan eventually sued Edison (succesfully) for breach of patent when Edison started to sell his system in the UK. The matter was eventually setlled when Edison and Swan agreed to form a joint venure - the Ediswan company.
Kelly steel - or is it Bessemer steel? - followed the same pattern of duplicate invention, lawsuit, and settlement, with the locales reversed. In each case the inventor better-known today retained sole "cisatlantic" rights, on his side of the pond, but in the transatlantic market settled with and joined with the rival claimant.

It would seem to me that the logic for calling Brit Swan "the" inventor in his case would apply equally to Kelly of the US in his.

posted Hide Post
I am pleased that you have 28 references to me here. Richard English, you particularly seem to understand my contributions, though you may overstate them.

However, I want to introduce all of you to another Britain who doesn't seem to receive the same attention that I and my American friend do.

Samuel Insull was a Britain who worked for a while with Edison, but he saw that alternating current was far better than the direct current that Edison fanatically supported. Edison's idea was to have thousands of small DC generators because he found he couldn't send DC current from Niagara Falls to NYC due to the voltage drop with distance. There was no way, at that time, of raising DC voltage the way AC voltage can be raised with transformers. Insull got General Electric to build the first big AC generators, powered by huge steam turbines. However, he had severe financial troubles and was accused of illegality, so he had to flee back to England. Many of us Britains believe he was unfairly treated. Today few people know that it was Insull's vision that gave us our high efficiency, huge powerplants and long distance transmission lines and grids.

I will see all of you Saturday evening on the chat.

Posts: 4 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Samuel Insull was a Britain
He was a country? Perhaps you mean "Briton"?
quote:
I will see all of you Saturday evening on the chat.
Why does that not surprise me? Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Samuel Insull, of course, spent most of his life in Chicago and was very much involved with the "El" and the many scandals surrounding it. That was actually where he lost his fortune; his ventures into electricity production were profitable.

Loyola University in Chicago maintain the Insull archives and I suspect that the Chicagoans are prouder of him than are we!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you mean "Briton"

Oh, you got me, arnie. My costume for our chat today was to have been Sir Joseph Swan. However, I blew it on that one post. I didn't want to use "Brit," and I looked up what it was short for. I could swear my stupid dictionary said that "Britain" was a British person. Now, of course, I remember that it is "Briton." So, of course, everyone would have known that Sir Joseph wasn't a Brit.

Then, to make things worse, Richard posts about Loyola University. Many of you know that I had been a professor at Loyola for a number of years, so that clearly identified me.

Therefore, I came in as the CEO of Anheiser Busch, Patrick Stokes. Poor Sir Joseph wasn't even there.

The kicker is that I didn't even know about the archives at Loyola. My logophile friend, from California, was the one who told me all about Insull.

And, it would have been such a great disguise! Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here is why I thought it was "Britain." Look about a third of the way down where it says "Brit." is an abbreviation for "Britain."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
Indeed it does. But it says that "Brit" (no full stop) is an informal term for a British person. The words "Brit." and "Brit" are different words.

Brit. is an abbreviation for British or Britain; Brit is an informal term for a British person (or Briton).

Richard English