Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Me? An Apostrophe error?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Me? An Apostrophe error? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I texted my daughter about the winner of the Christmas Cards in the Spector household:
quote:
Yours and Becca's cards were great - but, I am sorry, the Chen's card wins the Spector award! Hilarious!!!
Well, I got a snide text back, commenting on my "grammatical error," though not identifying it. I thought and thought - and then took this mystery to Shu, and we both (abashedly!) missed the apostrophe mistake. Shu said I should have written, "Becca's and your cards" (which still sounds odd to me so I haven't cleared that up!). However, we both missed that it should have been "Chens' card."

Can you believe, with all these apostrophe threads, I wrote "Chen's card?" Sheesh!

And - you should have seen their card! They inserted pictures of themselves into John Turnball's Declaration of Independence Painting, saying, "Couldn't resist dropping into John Turnbull's painting to consult!"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I also think it should be "Your and Becca's cards" or "Becca's and your"

Otherwise it would expand to Yours card and Becca's card.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Your card and Becca's were great.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

In my opinion, this one sounds best.

posted Hide Post
Actually, if your daughter and Becca sent out two separate cards (I don't know who is who in this scenario), I would say:

Both your card and Becca's were great.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Both your card and Becca's were great.

Better, although t's truthiness just to make both feel good, IMO.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sattva:
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

In my opinion, this one sounds best.

Perhaps, but it does make it sound a little like Becca was an afterthought to the message.

<Proofreader>
posted
Well, Becca isn't the favorite, after all.

I think she would only be subordinate if he was separated by commas.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting analysis. Becca's (Rebecca, shortened for texts) and Catherine's (daughter to whom it was written) cards both held the same importance. Perhaps "Becca's and your card were..." (Bob's way) is best? It's just that "card" and "were" sound a little off.

I am wondering if the Chen's was an autocorrect. I wrote something similar today (Chens plural), and my iPhone immediately autocorrected it to "Chen's." I hope so! Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Interesting analysis. Becca's (Rebecca, shortened for texts) and Catherine's (daughter to whom it was written) cards both held the same importance. Perhaps "Becca's and your card were..." (Bob's way) is best? It's just that "card" and "were" sound a little off.

I am wondering if the Chen's was an autocorrect. I wrote something similar today (Chens plural), and my iPhone immediately autocorrected it to "Chen's." I hope so! Wink

Mine said "cards".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sometimes autocorrect can just drive me crazy! How do they come up with some of those ridiculous corrections?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Did you see my Facebook post about wechat's autocorrect?

Here it is again for your amusement.

quote:
I think I've mentioned before that wechat (a Chinese messaging app) is a bit random in its correction of what it assumes are your mistakes. This one was a real belter.

I intended to type

"Just wondered if you had come across this beer."

I don't know what typing mistake I made but wechat decided that I meant
"Just woke Derek if you had come across this beer."

Now it's perfectly feasible that I mistyped the original message but in what Universe does the phrase "woke Derek" crop up often enough that it needs to be programmed into the system as a correction for ANYTHING?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Does Woolworth's still exist in the USA? I ask because over here they went bust during the recession and closed all their stores in 2008/9. Anyway, I was typing "Woolwich" into my iPhone yesterday and found it auto-corrected to Woolworth's.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Does Woolworth's still exist in the USA?

One Woolworth's still exists in Bakersfield (?), CA but it's a thrift store. The UK chain closed in 2007 but some still remain in several European countries. The original Woolworth's changed focus and devolved into Foot Locker sporting goods. Nothing in the present company's inventory sells for a nickel or a dime.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, I remember those 5 and 10 cent stores! Now we have the Dollar Store.