Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Pronunciation again...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation again... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, the UK speaker said it as fyour - OR. We say it (or at least I do) more like fyour. The "or" at the end is incorporated into the first part, if that makes sense.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The US one sounds like two to me.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I do remember our discussion of the pronunciation of fire. Don't you say that with one syllable? Same here with us for furor.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No we say it with two: fy-er.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We have had a few discussions here about the pronunciation of fire. Here's one. The reason I asked about furor was because, generally, I thought the British said words faster than Americans do so they generally say words with fewer syllables. However, I might be wrong - particularly since in one of those posts Bob wrote that he doesn't even believe in syllables!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
No we say it with two: fy-er.
No matter how many syllables they've used, my former bosses have always said it loudly and in the present perfect tense while pointing towards the door.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Kalleh I'e never heard furor as one syllable. I thought it was always said "fur-er." Maybe the last syllable is just elided into the r in your accent.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I thought it was always said "fur-er."

"fyur-ah" heah.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two syllables: /fjɚ.ɚ/

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This may be one of those U.S. east coast vs. the rest of the U.S. sort of thing, much like the whole pronunciation of "error" controversy. Sometimes I feel our easterners pronounce words more like people in the U.K. than like the rest of the country.

I, and most people here in the midwest at least, say it with one syllable (maybe 1 1/2?) like "f-your."