Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Send three and fourpence...*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Send three and fourpence...* Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
On Facebook Kalleh said she had never heard of Chinese whispers. Just because she asked...

It's a game. You write a sentence on a piece of paper and show it to the first person in the group. That person remembers it and whispers it to the next person who whispers it to the next person until it's gone all round the room. The last person stands up and recites it. The idea
is to see how much it's changed.

* And to explain the thread title, there is a story of an urgent message from the battlefront that started out as "Send reinforcements, we're going to advance" which arrived at headquarters as "Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard of the game, but not the name. A better name would be "mondegreen," IMHO.
Speaking of which, some fun: http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/mondegreenterm.htm

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've heard it called "telephone".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob. I agree, Proof; I've heard it called "telephone" as well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post