Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Accent map oddities
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accent map oddities Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
This is kind of fun. I'm from the little bluish smudge in central-western nys (which we call the southern tier--we like to ignore the downstaters) which insists on pronouncing everything as though we were from the midwest.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is so interesting. I've found that often I pronounce many things differently from the rest of Illinois, such as crayon. With all four pronunciations of pecan, and going over and over them, I found that I don't even know how I pronounce it! Some words I hadn't known people pronounced differently, such as lawyer. I have never said pop. While the map is varied on that for Illinois, I seem to be a off the charts for that one because I say soft drink. I say roundabout (apparently unusual for Illinois), though that may be due to this board. I just read about the "other" for sub sandwich the other day - grinder. I'd never heard that before the article I recently read. I've also not heard of sunshower before. The mary, merry, marry situation shows that most of us in the U.S., including those in Bellville, Illinois (CJ), pronounce them the same. I recall that argument on OEDILF, and CJ insisted he says all three differently.

Very interesting, Bethree!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post