Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Men, women, and gadgets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Men, women, and gadgets Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
quote:
Men and women have different approaches to dealing with technology problems, according to a gadget helpline.

The service found that 64% of its male callers and 24% of its female callers had not read the instruction manual before ringing up.

12% of male and 7% of female customers simply needed to plug in or turn on their appliance.

More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8346810.stm

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I definitely could tell that this was a British report, arnie. We'd not say "ringing up."

My sister told me that her friend heard some water leaking and called a plumber. The plumber found...someone had turned the outside hose on. He turned the water off, and handed her a bill for $70. I'd be so embarrassed!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I definitely could tell that this was a British report, arnie. We'd not say "ringing up."

It's interesting how there are these different expressions. I believe that in the USA the usual expression is "calling" ("I'll call you"). But in the UK, although we do use that expression, "calling" often means going to see someone.

My preference would be "I'll give you a ring".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I'll give you a ring

I'm sorry. I can't marry you.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Since the title of this thread includes gadgets, this might be interesting. Wait for a few seconds for it to fully load.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry. I can't marry you.
I suppose in some states you could.

Proof, that site is hilarious! What country is that? They must have a great sense of humor. How do you find sites like that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
What country is that?

The language is Dutch, so it's probably The Netherlands.

I have to confess that I hate sites that bombard me with loud music and don't have a volume control. It takes a while for me to get up my computer's volume control and mute the awful row.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Someone sent that as an e-mail.

Here's an interesting story but, since this is a word site, the part that may be most interesting is the final paragraph's description.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You can always trust the Daily Mail to come up with a story like that.

Re. the last paragraph, perhaps the HSE investigators were seconded from the Royal Navy? Confused Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask where the ships come in, but I suddenly realised that it's the harbour.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post