Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woe is me Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
After our abominable election results, I wrote an email to a friend, saying, "woe is me." Then I thought I should change it to "woe is I." However, that didn't sound right, so I came to WC, but couldn't find it here. So I went to Google and found this good explanation.. Apparently woe is the subject and me is the dative object, which isn't allowed (used?) in English today. It actually means woe is to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good site, Kalleh. Thanks.

As most of us know, English is confusing to many new learners because of our having lost those cases Mr. Owen mentions. Latin and ancient Greek had five, modern Spanish has five; Russian has six. Word order is less critical in those languages, so there is an advantage to having specific cases, or so it seems to me.

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I aways assumed it derived from woe unto me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is the same "me" that is in methinks, which is derived from mē þyncþ "it seems to me".

posted Hide Post
quote:
þyncþ

From which "sense" is derived?

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:
þyncþ

From which "sense" is derived?

No, Old English þyncan was "to seem". Its similarity with þencan "to think" meant that both verbs became the same verb in Middle English: think. Then the "seem" meaning disappeared - except in methinks.

posted Hide Post
"Woe is me" is a continuation of Old English wā is mē "woe is to me". is the dative case. The German is Weh ist mir.
The plural would be wā is ūs "woe is to us".

The OED says:
quote:
Ælfric Gram. (St. John's Oxf.) 278 Heu mihi, domine, quia peccaui nimis in uita mea wa is me, drihten, forþan þe ic syngode swiðe on minum life.

"Woe is me, lord, because I sinned excessively in my life."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So, in a sense, Proof was right that it is from woe unto me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post