Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A bit of German that I found interesting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bit of German that I found interesting Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I occasionally read a number of online sites to practise my German and I was briefly diverted by this sentence.

In der Comedy-Reihe "Switch Reloaded" werden Stars und Sternchen aus dem Fernsehen parodiert.

Translated this means "In the comedy series 'Switch Reloaded' Stars and Starlets will be parodied on television."

What interested me was that "Stars" in the sense of TV stars was written as "Stars" (German for star, as in the sky, is Stern) but the diminutive form wasn't "Starchen" but "Sternchen" meaning "little stars".

I don't know why I found it interesting that the diminutive used the actual German word for "star" as its root while the non-diminutive was rendered in English - but as I say, I did find it briefly interesting.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post