Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    It all comes out in the end
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It all comes out in the end Login/Join

posted
From The Guardian:
Danbury, Connecticut will name sewage plant after John Oliver

Oliver IS known to be a "potty-mouth," isn't he?

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep, though I do like him. He is clever.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yep, though I do like him. He is clever.

I watch every episode and, when I understand them, I am quite a fan. Though sometimes his topics are utterly meaningless to non-Americans. Even then they show the huge differences between American and British society. Interestingly there have been several occasions where he is talking about British things where, when it is shown in Britain, sections have been replaced with something different because he has shown things from British Parliament which cannot, under British law, be shown for satirical purposes.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
What? I thought the Brits' sense of political satire was irrepressible.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It is... unless you are a politician. We like to laugh at them but they don’t like to be laughed at and they make the laws. Political satire is thriving but actually showing the goings on in parliament for anything other than news is strictly forbidden. Of course so much of what does go on is ridiculous enough already without the need for satire.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post