Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teenspeak Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was a great Zits in the Sunday Chicago Tribune about the language of the teenage species, and today I found this Language Log entry about it. I agree with Liberman that the sounds haven't changed that much since I was a teenager.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
While it wasn't teenspeak, the one utterance I have burned into what's left of my brain comes from Oliver Hardy in mid-calamity: O-OOOOoooo-oo-ooo! Ollie and Stanley left me in stitches!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
O-OOOOoooo-oo-ooo!

Or was is DO-OOOOoooo-oo-ooo!?

It was certainly Olly - Stan rarely spoke much which is why few people realise the he never lost his English accent.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:

Or was is DO-OOOOoooo-oo-ooo!?

It sometimes had a "D," and sometimes didn't, as I remember it. Maybe Matt Groening, "Simpsons" creator, was a Laurel and Hardy fan despite his being younger than you or I.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Maybe Matt Groening, "Simpsons" creator, was a Laurel and Hardy fan despite his being younger than you or I.

He probably is, but Dan Castellaneta's D'oh! is usually traced to Jimmy Finlayson who often worked with Laurel and Hardy.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia
quote:

It is typically represented in the show's script as "(annoyed grunt)", and is so spelled out in the official titles of several episodes.[3]

When Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer, was first asked to voice the exclamation, he rendered it as a drawn out "doooh", inspired by Jimmy Finlayson, the moustachioed Scottish actor who appeared in 33 Laurel and Hardy films. Finlayson coined the term as a minced oath for suggesting the word "Damn!" without actually saying it. [4] The show's creator Matt Groening felt that it would better suit the timing of animation if it were spoken faster so Castellaneta shortened it to "D'oh!"[5]

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post