Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Real Grammar Nazi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Real Grammar Nazi Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
This is very funny.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
An apt ending.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not to change the subject, but you did mention the word apt. Did anyone see Tsuwm's Worthless Word of the Day today? Ept? In the sentence quoted by EB White (from letters), Shu wondered if maybe it was misread as ept, having meant apt. The fact is, the OED did not have the original EB White letters; they cited a book that claimed to have them.

<Proofreader>
posted
Is "ept" really bad enough to be termed "worthless"? It seems useful in that it is the exact opposite of "inept."

posted Hide Post
Most men dangle their participles when they hear a French woman.

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Then they dash and try to comma.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is "ept" really bad enough to be termed "worthless"?
[Hey! I finally got into the OED so my 2014 New Years resolution has already been met!] The OED says that ept is a "deliberate" antonym of inept. The first citation for ept was from 1938, whereas the first citation for inept was from 1603. So historically it hasn't been used much. One can't tell current useage from Google hits because there are a lot of ept acronyms.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I dislike the word (if it is one) because my favorite online crossword game doesn't accept it.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Since it's the OED, your crossword game should accept it. I'd complain!