Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    An oxymoron?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An oxymoron? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Is a "sports logophile" an oxymoron? To me, it is! Yet this sports Blog writer also claims to be a logophile:
quote:
Perhaps it is a consequence of being a blogger while also having a "real" job as a writer (of sorts), but I am a complete logophile. I love words. I might even go so far as to call myself a logomaniac (which is not to be confused with a Lego Maniac). I am also a bit of a dork, so I often find myself applying obscure words to Texans-related situations.
And...guess which word he highlighted? Well, see for yourself...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Is a "sports logophile" an oxymoron?

Nope. Not these days.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It certainly doesn't apply over here, either. Some sports journalists write very well and show evidence of logophilia. One such, of almost legendary status among the older cricket followers, was Neville Cardus, who wrote for the (then) Manchester Guardian. Even nowadays, I'll often read reports and articles by a certain couple of sports journalists just to admire their prose, not because I have any interest at all in the sport being covered.

You may be conflating sports writers with TV commentators/summarisers/pundits. Many of the latter tend to be former sports professionals with no writing or journalism training or skills.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope. Not these days.
Really, z? Methinks you don't read the sports pages nor listen to the sports stations that much. Or...maybe Chicago sports writers/radio/TV hosts are of lower quality than those on the west coast. That definitely could be the case. After all, the NYT and the WSJ don't have much in terms of sports pages, so I mostly read the Chicago Tribune. As for radio and TV, surely there is much to be desired with ESPN announcers. They can hardly put a sentence together. I find it embarrassing.

It must be different in England, arnie, at least as compared to Chicago.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Methinks you don't read the sports pages nor listen to the sports stations that much.

You think correctly, but you asked about sports logophile, not logophile sports writer. I know plenty of people who are logophiles and sports fans, but I am not one of them.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, sure. I can agree with that.

The writer in question publishes a sports blog. Of course there are always outliers, and he clearly is one.