Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Lifestyle farmers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lifestyle farmers Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Today there was an article in the Chicago Tribune talking about "lifestyle farmers," which they defined as peoples' lives being tied to agriculture, although they don't earn their full-time living from it. Supposedly, there are 1.6 M lifestyle farmers nationally, and 27,000 in Illinois.

Have you heard of lifestyle farmers? Some of the terms they said that others are using are "sundowners," "U-turners," "hobby farmers," "ruralpolitans," "micropolitans," "gentlemen farmers" (sounds British!), & "X-urbanites."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never heard the term "lifestyle farmers." It sounds pretty yuppie to me!

The variations on "farm" are interesting. My cousin in Phoenix owns a 4-acre "farm." In Indiana, 4 acres would never be considered a farm - a garden, perhaps, but not a farm, unless the term were to be modified into "mini farm," which is what small farms are called here.

To be considered a farmer around here, you must farm hundreds or thousands of acres. Even if you own farm ground and rent it out to someone who farms it, you're not considered a farmer, but a landlord.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Sunflower. I am from Wisconsin where the smallest farm you could have was 120 acres (tiny!). We had 240 acres, and many had 480 and more. Yet, in the Chicago area I have a friend who has 15 acres, and that's a farm to her.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here in Oregon they're usually called "Martini Farmers." They usually grow a few christmas trees, thereby getting the farmland tax exemption, and enjoy having ten or twenty acres to themselves.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post